New Russian GOST bibliographic standard - 2018 - author field in format

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
sercher

New Russian GOST bibliographic standard - 2018 - author field in format

Post by sercher »

Hi, according to a new 2018 Russian GOST bibliographic standard (ГОСТ Р 7.0.100–2018) the bibliographic reference should contain author's name after a slash with initials BEFORE the last name following the title of the book. Here is the example:

Wittman, R.K., Kinney, D. The devil’s diary: Alfred Rosenberg and the stolen secrets of the Third Reich / R. K. Wittman, D. Kinney — New York : Harper, 2016. — 513 p.

My question is: how I can force bookends to list initials BEFORE the last name in author field in format window? Unfortunately, the only available standard option is initials AFTER the last name. I would really appreciate any advice.

This affects only bibliographic reference and not (or less so) the footnote ref.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: New Russian GOST bibliographic standard - 2018 - author field in format

Post by Jon »

There is a popup for authors and editors that lets you specify which is first, surname (Doe, John) or first name/initials (John Doe).

Jon
Sonny Software
sercher

Post by sercher »

The issue is not that I cannot choose from popup to order initials/last name, but that this Russian standard requires to list the author BEFORE the title in the last name/ initials format and then AFTER the title and slash -- initials/last name (reverse) format. I cannot use both. Is there a conditionality / or a formula to fix this?

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Listing the authors twice, in two different orders, in the same citation? No, there's no way to do that with just one authors field. Perhaps you could enter the authors in two fields (e.g. in Editors, or better in a User field) and set the name order for it accordingly.

Jon
Sonny Software
sercher52

Post by sercher52 »

Thanks, will try that
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you use a User field like User1, refer to it with an asterisk in the format

u1*

so that Bookends treats it as a field with names (and by default will use the settings you have for editor).

Jon
Sonny Software
sercher

Post by sercher »

Yes, it works!