How to change the unique ID of a reference?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Dullboy

How to change the unique ID of a reference?

Post by Dullboy »

Hi, guys. For some reason, I need to change some unique ids of references. I do this in a stupid way: create a new one which has a new id and then delete the old one. I suppose there must be a smarter way to do that. I found Jon had answered this question years ago, "you can override the system if you want. Option-Command-click on the unique id and you can change it". But, I can not even find the unique ID in the Bookends interface. Need help! Thank you!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How to change the unique ID of a reference?

Post by Jon »

Open the edit pane. The unique ID is toward the top left.

Jon
Sonny Software
nicka

Post by nicka »

You might not be seeing it if the edit pane isn't wide enough. It needs to be about twice as wide as the dropdown menu control for choosing reference type on the top right. If not, drag the pane, and then the unique ID will magically appear when it reaches the correct width.
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Haha, here it is!!! finally found it! Thank you very much!
Dullboy

Post by Dullboy »

Hi, guys. After upgraded to version 14.0, Option-Command-click on the unique id doesn't work any more. Any idea how to change the unique ID? Thank you!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That capability was removed in 14.0. This is from the release notes:

A reference’s unique ID can no longer be changed by the user. Too many features that depend on the unique ID and would break if it were changed.

Basically, the unique ID is so widely used throughout the app that it can't be changed safely. I'd question why you want to do that and try to come up with another solution.

Jon
Sonny Software