references and bibliographies output in white text in Word

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dtoub

references and bibliographies output in white text in Word

Post by dtoub »

I'm using 13.4 and Word 16.38 on a Mac running Mojave (not Catalina). Only seeing this now and not in past versions: when scanning references in Word or even just creating a bibliography outputted to Word, with my font unchanged (Calibri 12) in Bookends preferences, I get white text. No big deal to select all and change the font color, but anyone else seeing this? Odd. Thanks.
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 4.39.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 4.39.57 PM.png (239.54 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: references and bibliographies output in white text in Word

Post by Jon »

Please download 13.4 again. I think all cases of white text in dark mode were fixed in silent updates (except for Pages, which is fixed in the next update).

Jon
Sonny Software
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

Thanks. That did not change anything however. Still getting white on white (which was great for Malevich but not so good for Word).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please contact tech support directly with screen snaps showing exactly what the sequence of events is. This is the only report I've had of this.

Jon
Sonny Software
vishy

Post by vishy »

I have this problem too and I think it's a bug in Bookends that is related to Dark Mode and Numbered citation formats.

On my Mac (Mojave) using Word 16.38 I see the same problem of citations appearing in white text on white background, but only when my Mac is in Dark Mode, AND when I use a Numbered citation format (eg, Nature.fmt)

If I use an Author-Date citation format (eg, Cell.fmt), citations appear in normal black text on white.

If I switch my Mac to Light Mode, citations always appear in black text, regardless of which citation format is used. If I then switch back to Dark Mode after scanning, the citations remain black even for Numbered formats.

It looks like when a Numbered citation format is used, Bookends is using a numbered List style in Word and that in turn is interpreting Dark Mode and giving us white text for that style which of course doesn't work on a white page background.

The previous suggestion of Global Change -> Restore Default Font & Style does not fix this problem for me. It was stated that some issues with text color were fixed in silent updates but I just re-downloaded and reinstalled the latest app and it does not fix the above problem.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I see this, too, and it's fixed for the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software