iCloud PDF Increments

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
playoctopus

iCloud PDF Increments

Post by playoctopus »

Hi there

I have a frustrating quirk when using iOS sync, which appears to be an iCloud issue rather than Bookends but wondered if anyone has found a way around this.

Any time I Annotate a PDF in an external editor (such as PDF expert), the file name increments and Bookends can’t find it…or worse, if I Annotate in OSX, then move to iOS, sometimes I have two versions of the file which haven’t merged.

Any help or workarounds appreciated. I index the Bookends iCloud folder with DEVONthink as I have a workflow set up (from https://eggleton.co.nz/) to support my project’s literature review.
  • I have my Attachment folder set up per the recommended settings.
  • When I edit a PDF out with bookends (by double clicking on the paperclip) iCloud increments the PDF file name. The original file name was ‘Naslund 2008.pdf’ and after editing on mac PDF expert increments to ‘Naslund 2008 295.pdf’ and then on iPad version of PDF expert (launched via Bookends) to ‘Naslund 2008 113 19.pdf’
  • This results in Bookends not being able to find the reference attachment across my Mac, iPad and on my iPhone and I have to reattach the file and rename it each time. Also, given there are two versions of the file, sometimes the annotations haven’t merged.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: iCloud PDF Increments

Post by Jon »

I don't think PDF Expert is changing the file name, I think it's Bookends. Are you reattaching the PDF after editing in PDF Export? If you do, Bookends will recognize the name as one already used and will add a random number to make it unique.

Jon
Sonny Software
playoctopus

Post by playoctopus »

Hi Jon,
Thanks for coming back to me. It's the same behaviour as outlined here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/66 ... 7066544022

If I right click the file in bookends folder within iCloud and open in PDF expert or Acrobat, the file name is appended with an increment number (whether opening directly from the folder in iCloud or double clicking within Bookends to open in PDF expert...same thing happens). I've tried uploading a screenshot but keep getting an error.

Not sure if you can replicate the issue your end...looks to be iCloud specific. Is there anyway of syncing with Dropbox or any other cloud provider (know this has been asked multiple times before!)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hm, I can't reproduce that. I have a PDF in iCloud drive. I right click -> Open in PDF Export. Make a highlight and press Command-S to save. The name of the PDF doesn't change. Is that what you're doing?

For Mac <-> Mac sync saving the PDFs in Dropbox is fine. But if you want to sync them with Bookends for iOS too you need to use iCloud.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. Check out the just-released 13.4.1. There are significant updates to the PDF viewer/annotator that may (or may not) obviate your need for a third party PDF app.
playoctopus

Post by playoctopus »

The new editor is perfect for my needs...and the iOS is even better as I use my apple pencil often for mark ups. So this is great, thank you.

I have one feature request...is it possible to have something in settings to prevent the PDF opening in another editor so that the PDF can only be edited in bookends on OSX? SO where you have 'Finder Default' et al. Can this be set to 'none' to force the PDF to stay put? I have had a couple of double click accidents :-(
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

What did you double click? If you double click a reference, the PDF opens in Bookends by default.

Jon
Sonny Software
playoctopus

Post by playoctopus »

Hi Jon, I double clicked the paperclip next to the author name
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Single clicking (not double clicking) is sufficient, and this is a shortcut to open the PDF in another app (right-clicking lets you select the app). This is a feature, not a bug.

Don't do that.

Double click anywhere else in the reference will open the PDF in Bookends (now that is a preference setting -- I prefer to open the reference for editing, but the default is to open the PDF).

Jon
Sonny Software
playoctopus

Post by playoctopus »

Thanks Jon. Trigger finger I think.