notecards, note stream, disappearing quotation marks

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
msf82

notecards, note stream, disappearing quotation marks

Post by msf82 »

Hi,

I am an enthusiastic new bookends convert, and I have been taking extensive notes on the notecards in note stream, but a weird thing keeps happening. When I type up a direct quote from another source, and I put it in quotation marks (so that I'll later know that these are not my words, but someone else's), the quotation marks show up in the note stream, but not, ultimately, in the note card itself. That is, if I click edit notecard, when I go in a second time, the quotation marks disappear. Worse, if I just copy and paste the notecard into Scrivener or MS Word, the quotation marks also disappear. Is this a glitch of some kind, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to ensure that quotation marks travel with the text when I cut and paste? I'd be grateful for any advice.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: notecards, note stream, disappearing quotation marks

Post by Jon »

I see this with smart quote marks and I'll look into. But dumb (straight) quote marks don't have this issue. So for now, please use them.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Editing with smart quotes is fixed for the next update. Copying notecards is next.

Jon
Sonny Software
msf82

Post by msf82 »

Thanks so much for the quick reply. At the risk of seeming dense, when you say smart quotes, you mean double quotation marks like "this?" And straight quote marks are like 'this?'
Thanks again
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No. Those are straight quote marks and apostrophes. Smart quote marks are curved, like this “smart”. There's a setting in System Preferences -> Keyboard that automatically substitutes smart quotes for straight ones. If it's on, turn it off for now.

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

Post by rickl »

Regarding the text in notes in the note stream, which I usually create by quoting from a PDF attachment (using Command-Control-P) I notice that some characters are ignored (i.e. deleted), particularly dashes and often apostrophes, even if not smart ones. Is there any way to avoid this?

Also, on my previous Mac, I used a different and larger font in Notes to make them readable, but can't remember how I changed the setting to make that possible. Could someone remind me?

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I can't reproduce this. Bug reports should be made to support@sonnysoftware.com.

The setting for note card font size is in the General tab in preferences.

Jon
Sonny Software