BE browser google scholar retrieval limit breaks

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
yon

BE browser google scholar retrieval limit breaks

Post by yon »

Most of the time I use the online search tool in Bookends to search using Google Scholar, it limits the hits retreived to 10. But sometimes, it does not limit the retrieval and this can make Google restrict searches from my domain. Questions:

1. Why does the search tool fail to limit scholar hits/reference retrievals to 10 in some cases? Is that a bug?
2. Am I missing some control that determines how many references are retrieved?
3. When this happens, I see an instruction come up that says something like "Press command- to stop. I have tried pressing the command and dash; is that the stop command? Is it something like command and space? Or is it something else. I would certainly like to be able to stop it when I see it going on and on retreiving scholar references.

Thanks, y
Jon
Site Admin

Re: BE browser google scholar retrieval limit breaks

Post by Jon »

Command-. (Command plus period).

When you search GS a dialog appears telling you how many hits were found, with a popup that lets you select the number you want to download. To hopefully avoid the GS robot sensor it's done in batches of 10.

Jon
Sonny Software
yon

Post by yon »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for clarifying the stop command. I will be able to use the stop command in the future. That should help.

Most of the time, only ten hits are retrieved and a dialog pops up. That behavior I like, to avoid the Google sensor. Almost always the cite I am looking for is in the first 10 hits.

My point is that sometimes the GS search does not limit itself to 10 hits, but just keeps retrieving as much as is available, so that it pulls in hundreds of hits sometime. That triggers the google sensor. I don't know of anything I have done from my side that makes the retrieval just keep going, and wasn't able to use the stop command because I didn't see the period. But further to that,

Have you seen the behavior when the GS search does not limit itself to 10 hits or anythiing at all? Is there something on my side I can do to ensure the search is limited to retrieving 10 hits at a time.

Thanks, yon
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If there are < 500 hits Bookends will download (not import) them all, in batches of 10. I think I'll change that for GS as an added protection against being tagged as a robot.

Jon
Sonny Software
yon

Post by yon »

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks very much, yon