Different in-text format in footnotes?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
fitzgunnar

Different in-text format in footnotes?

Post by fitzgunnar »

When I cite other authors in my documents, the in-text citation should appear as (Surname, Year), and interested readers can then look up the precise information i the bibliography. However, when the citation appears in a footnote, the complete reference should be given directly in the footnote, and this should not affect the bibliography.

I understand that I can use the feature "Copy Formatted" in Bookends when I insert the reference into the footnote, but then that reference won't be updated if I make changes to it in the Bookends database, right?

Is there a way to get around this?

/MagnusG!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You need to create a custom citation format that outputs the results as you want in a footnote. Then reference this format from the bibliography format you use to scan. You'll get the results you want.

Please refer to the User Guide about Custom Citation Formats for details.

Jon
Sonny Software
fitzgunnar

Post by fitzgunnar »

Jon wrote:You need to create a custom citation format that outputs the results as you want in a footnote. Then reference this format from the bibliography format you use to scan. You'll get the results you want.

Please refer to the User Guide about Custom Citation Formats for details.

Jon
Sonny Software
Well, I have looked in the User Guide, and I still can't figure out what to do.

I can think of two possible ways of doing this, and perhaps you can tell me which one works in Bookends:

i) I define a single custom citation format, and in that I specify different looks for in-text citations and for footnote citations.

ii) I define two different custom citation formats, one for my in-text citations and one for my footnote citations. When inserting the references in my text, I specify which format should be used for the reference.

Which one is it, and how do I go about to do it?

/MagnusG!

P.S. I use Bookends 7.7.5.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Whoops, sorry, I misread your first post.

Bookends can use a custom citation format and a bibliography format simultaneously. It cannot use *two* custom citation formats at once. If you want to have citations that differ from footnotes you have to manage one of them manually (i.e. use Copy Formatted for the footnotes, as you mentioned). If you change the reference in your database you'll need to update the footnote yourself to reflect this.

Jon
Sonny Software