Help with user-defined field

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
FESteward

Help with user-defined field

Post by FESteward »

I have looked in the manual but I didn't find how to designate a user-defined field. I don't see this in Preferences either.

My questions are:
  • how do I actually designate it to be what I want (like "location" for what library it is in)?
  • how do I make sure I won't be overriding something important like translator?
  • is there a way to sort by that field?
Thanks,
Hilary
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Help with user-defined field

Post by Jon »

Rename the user-defined fields in Preferences. it's just a name, whatever that field is capable of won't change when the name changes.

Jon
Sonny Software
FESteward

Post by FESteward »

Thank you, but I still have some questions.

In Preferences, I see "Fields to display" and Columns to use, but I don't see that I can change the name. Are you saying just put the location in one of those "unused" fields even though the name doesn't say my specific category?

If I do that, how do I know if, for example, Column 6 might be used for Translator in some format and if I override it with the location, I will lose that information. Is there some list of what the columns or fields are used for?

Hilary
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Just click twice, slowly, on one of the names and you can edit it.

Again, it's just a label. You can rename a field "Moskowitz" and it won't have any effect on the database. It's just what you see. Nothing will change in the database itself. It's the field that matters, and you can't change that. Just do it and see for yourself. You can change field labels back at any time.

Jon
Sonny Software