APA format question

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
bluloo

APA format question

Post by bluloo »

Hi,

I'm a newb looking for some BE goodness.

I have created a new format filter , based on the shipped EBSCO PsychInfo filter, that includes the issue number.
I simply added 'IS' to the volume field so that it looks like this: "VL, IS".

This results in the volume number followed by the issue number "12 3" in the preview window.

However, I need to have my refs formatted for APA version 5 which looks like "12(3)" .

I want to have the issue number appear within parentheses, but can't figure out how to do it.

TIA

:)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

See this recent thread

http://www.sonnysoftware.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=446

And when you do that, use v(i) in the format definition to output volume(issue).

Jon
Sonny Software
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

Hi Jon,

I changed 'v,' to 'v(i)' in the APA format reference manager and it does't seem to work.

I end up with the volume, issue and page formatted like so: '12 3283-98'.
It should look like: '12(3), 283-98.'

Also, when I add a new entry to the database from the same reference, the issue number disappears for the peviously imported reference, as viewed in the preview window.

IOW, I'll import a ref and it will appear with the issue number (no parentheses). If I import the same ref, using the same filter, the previously imported ref loses the issue number.

I've rebuilt and repaired the database to no avail.

This is odd... Is this related to my "custom" filter?
Last edited by bluloo on Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There is obviousy some confusion here. This isn't an appropriate venue to handle it...please email tech support with your database and format (stuffed or zipped).

support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

Jon wrote:There is obviousy some confusion here. This isn't an appropriate venue to handle it...please email tech support with your database and format (stuffed or zipped).

support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
See my edit for the previous post above. Sorry for the confusion.

You are too fast! :wink: :)

I'll email the database, my filter and some screenshots when I get home.

thanks Jon
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

bluloo wrote:I changed 'v,' to 'v(i)' in the APA format reference manager and it does't seem to work.

I end up with the volume, issue and page formatted like so: '12 3283-98'.
It should look like: '12(3), 283-98.'
I wonder if you edited one Type (like Journal Article) and you are seeing a formatted reference from a different Type?

Anyway, I'll look at what you send me and we'll see what's up.

Jon
Sonny Software
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

I apologize for not sending this last night. Classes started again and it was a bit busy.

I'll send it later on.

tx
jdien

separate fields

Post by jdien »

I'd like to put in a request for the default formats to have separate fields for volume and issue numbers. It's always possible to customize things but it simplifies life to have things work like this out of the box. :)

Joe
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

If we add extra fields to Bookends, you'd be able to commit one of them to simply Issue. But for compatibility with all the import filters would still put them in the same (Volume) field (you could use the Source parser to work around this, if you wanted to).

Jon
Sonny Software