Trash folder and undoing changes to database

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
taja

Trash folder and undoing changes to database

Post by taja »

The first of these requests, for a trash folder, has been discussed before (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3966&p=22521&hilit=trash#p22521) but I'm mentioning it again both to bump it and to couple it with a second, related request. I know that it's possible to revert to backups for really catastrophic changes one makes accidentally to the database, but for accidental deletions of references this is rarely worth it. Which means occasionally losing a reference - and in my case often not knowing what it was!

The related request: would it be possible, given Bookends' database architecture, for there to be an undo/redo function for changes to the library? E.g. not just to undo deletions, but to undo copying of references to folders as well. I ask this now in particular because I've found dragging and dropping references in Bookends to sometimes be buggy, e.g. I've frequently dragged refs to one folder, only for them to appear in the one below, requiring me to painstakingly sift them out (next time it happens I will file a bug report...). Having an undo/redo function would make this much less painful. But for all I know it may not be possible to add one.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Trash folder and undoing changes to database

Post by Jon »

Adding a Trash group is on our radar, it's just very difficult to do.

Groups and folders belong to the UI, not the database, there is no simple way to add Undo.

Jon
Sonny Software
taja

Re: Trash folder and undoing changes to database

Post by taja »

Thanks Jon. Good to hear about the trash folder. I guessed an undo function would be difficult to add, but didn’t realise/know the database/UI distinction applied to groups and folders.