formatting in title field does not appear in bibliography

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Mike

formatting in title field does not appear in bibliography

Post by Mike »

Greetings - Some words in the title of a reference have italics style applied to them in bookends (8.1.2). However, when I build the bibliography in MS Word, the words lose their italics style. I also noticed that the view formatted window also does not have the italics style. I'm using the format BMC Evolutionary Biology. In this format, the title should be in bold. If I switch to another format that does not use bold style for the title, the italics appear just as they should. Does anyone else see this behavior?
Mike
niklas

Re: formatting in title field does not appear in bibliograph

Post by niklas »

Mike wrote:Greetings - Some words in the title of a reference have italics style applied to them in bookends (8.1.2). However, when I build the bibliography in MS Word, the words lose their italics style. I also noticed that the view formatted window also does not have the italics style. I'm using the format BMC Evolutionary Biology. In this format, the title should be in bold. If I switch to another format that does not use bold style for the title, the italics appear just as they should. Does anyone else see this behavior?
Mike
Yes, I've seen it too... See this thread from a while ago:
http://www.sonnysoftware.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=476
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Applying italic to a word in a title that is otherwise ouput as bold doesn't work (the word is output simply as bold). This looks like a bug in Mac OS X 10 (Tiger). Is that what you are using?

I've reported it to Apple, so we'll have to see what they say/do.

Jon
Sonny Software
niklas

Post by niklas »

Jon wrote:Hi,

Applying italic to a word in a title that is otherwise ouput as bold doesn't work (the word is output simply as bold). This looks like a bug in Mac OS X 10 (Tiger). Is that what you are using?

Sonny Software
Well, yes. I'm using Tiger. But I don't understand. Applying italics to bold, and vice versa obviously does work when done doirectly in the app. Is it something special about applying it automatically?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes. The code that does this uses a toolbox call that applies styles (completely different from the code that handles the GUI). It worked in all previous versions of Mac OS X, but appears to be broken in Tiger. There is no workaround I can think of -- the OS X bug needs to be fixed.

Jon
Sonny Software
Mike

Post by Mike »

I too am using Tiger.
niklas

Post by niklas »

Jon wrote:Yes. The code that does this uses a toolbox call that applies styles (completely different from the code that handles the GUI). It worked in all previous versions of Mac OS X, but appears to be broken in Tiger. There is no workaround I can think of -- the OS X bug needs to be fixed.

Jon
Sonny Software
Oh, OK. Thanks for submitting the bug report. I guess we just have to wait then, and remember to be aware of this when using a style that requires "double formatting".

Have you been able to verify that it isn't in fact fixed in the latest developer release (which I assume you have access to...)?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You mean the Macintel developer release? I don't have that. I'm very much doubt that will have fixed it until they deal with my bug report (and who knows what they'll do then -- hopefully fix it of course, but...).

Jon
Sonny Software