Importing only one BE library to DTO

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
JCwrites

Importing only one BE library to DTO

Post by JCwrites »

Hi all ~ I’m using iClould to sync my Mac with iPad so that I can use BE on both

And I know DTO can import/ index the whole BE library - however :
I only want/ need one of my BE libraries to sync with DTO (not the whole, indiscriminate BE library)
I’ve tried tagging all in that library ,, doesn’t work

Suggestions appreciated,
Justin
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Importing only one BE library to DTO

Post by Jon »

What is DTO?

And what is a "whole, indiscriminate BE library"? Do you mean what we call a library (metadata) or PDFs?

Jon
Sonny Software
vulevu

Post by vulevu »

I wanted to do the same and found the following solution. Basically, I wanted to index a selection of my Bookend references into a Devonthink database, not all of them.

- Tag all the references in a Bookends group with a distinct tag.
- In Finder, create a smart folder that includes all of the documents with this tag.
- Index or import this folder in Devonthink.

I keep adding to this set of bibliographical references so I update the indexing periodically.

I hope this works for you too.
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

Thanks @vulevu. Can you explain how you indexed a smart folder from finder? On my end it comes up as a smart.search folder, but DT can't seem to index such aliases. But maybe I'm being dense?
vulevu

Post by vulevu »

I used File--Index folder--Folder and I selected the smart folder I created in Finder, which worked. I pinned the folder on the Favorites sidebar in Finder - maybe that helped me access is directly.
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

Huh, strange. I followed exactly the same process, but the index option is grayed out. (I.e. I can find the indexed folder, have it added to finder favourites, but cannot save it/index the search).
Attachments
Image 1-13-21.jpg
Image 1-13-21.jpg (179.75 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
vulevu

Post by vulevu »

I just checked what I did and "Open" is also greyed out for me when I try to index the actual folder. You can select all the PDF documents (Command A) in this smart folder and then DT allows you to index them. I index them in a specific DT folder to keep it manageable. I guess what it comes down to is that the smart folder groups all the documents so you can select a specific subset.

I hope this works for you - it's been a very useful feature for me.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 23.41.15.jpg
Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 23.41.15.jpg (130.65 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

Ahh, that makes sense. Not perfect, but better than nothing I suppose, and will encourage me to bridge more of my bookends smart collections across to DT (Just need to remember to occasionally manually update). Thanks.