Launching Bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
GridLok

Launching Bookends

Post by GridLok »

Not off to a very good start I'm afraid:

Downloaded Bookends Trial and dragged to Applications folder as recommended - procedure appeared to install satisfactorily ... BUT ... the application won't launch. Double clicking on app. icon is ineffectual (nothing happens!)

If there's anyone watching this space, respond a.s.a.p. I am trying Bookends because I'm fed-up with Endnote and have an assignment already 1 week overdue.

I run an iMac (slot load), 512kb RAM, Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther)
- yeh, I know, if a panther rings don't anther.

:x
His hands were pure; but he had no hands.
Charles Peguy
GridLok

Post by GridLok »

Call off the hounds! Don't know why, but after re-downloading and re-installing it launched ... wonderful!
Charles Peguy
GridLok

Post by GridLok »

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this - DO NOT CHANGE THE 'BOOKEND FOLDER' NAME! As a matter of convention, I generally replace the word 'folder' with the glyph 'Æ’'. Usually this does not present a problem, but with Bookends, at least in the trial version, one does not have the flexibility of renaming folders.

javascript:emoticon(':?')
Charles Peguy
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Changing the name of the folder isn't a good idea in general (prevents installation of the Word add-ins, for example). But changing to a Unicode name is worse. This is a bug/problem with the Valentina db engine. It is a known bug reported months ago -- perhaps someday they will decide to fix it.

Jon
Sonny Software