Which Bibliography Software to Buy?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
TH

Which Bibliography Software to Buy?

Post by TH »

I have never used a bibliography software. I am writing a historical study which will have a bibliography comprising a number of European languages, some of which have accents and I will also be writing some Greek (non-Roman characters) entries. I have not yet made a purchase. Can Bookends do this, and how easy is it to learn for a distinctly non-tech type? Does it automatically format according to approved styles, e.g., Chicago? I use a Mac G4 Power Book running OS X.2. Thanks for any and all responses. Th
I am writing a book which will require bibliography in a number of European languages, including non-Roman Greek, and accents. Does Bookend allow this and how easy is it to format such bibliographies?
danzac

Post by danzac »

Bookends is unicode savvy- so it can store roman and non-roman fonts well. It can also output your Chicago style easily. As to the learning curve, that is specific to each person. It takes some effort to wrap your head around how Bookends works, but as to the amount of time, it depends on you. It took me a few days to really understand its features and how it works, etc., but I have a friend whose eyes still glaze over when I try and explain it to him (not a tech-savvy guy at all). I will tell you this, if you are going to buy bibliographic software, Bookends is the one to get. don't even bother with the others.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks Danny.

TH: the demo is fully functional except for a 50 reference/database limit. There is also a tutorial that will walk you through a lot of the common operations you would perform. Please work with Bookends for a few days and see if it meets your needs. This forum is a good place to ask questions, too...

Jon
Sonny Software