formatting questions

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
danzac

formatting questions

Post by danzac »

I use one format for my bibliography which in turn uses another format for my footnotes. My bibliography format is customed to place a ", " before cited pages, and "." after. However, I need the comma to go into quotation marks. Here is the example;

Collins, "Book of Revelation", 540-41.

This is a secondary order in my footnote format, which looks like this=
a, "s"
If I put a period in the footnote format (a, "s.") then the output looks like this: Collins, "Book of Revelation.", 540-41. How do I get this to work properly?

Sometimes I am footnoting the book in general and not a specific page, so I don't attach a page citation with @. If I do this, then no period is placed at all, because their is no period in my footnote format and no ciitation to close with a "." What do i do here?

Also, sometimes I do not want a period at the end but a comma to continue the sentence. eg:
Collins, "Book of Revelation", 540-41, says that.............
Right now I need to replace the period at the end with the comma. I tried placing the comma after the page "@134," but this does nothing.

Thanks for the help, I'm trying to tweak my SBL formats for maximum effectiveness.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

A lot of this Bookends should do automatically. I'll be away for a few days. When I'm back, you can send me the format you are using and a small example file -- it's much to complex an issue to resolve in the absence of examples.

Jon
Sonny Software