Nothing displayed in Summary pane after update to 14.0.4

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
bobtodd

Nothing displayed in Summary pane after update to 14.0.4

Post by bobtodd »

Howdy y'all,

I just updated to version 14.0.4. I love the updated interface for the Reference pane in the side bar. But when I click on the Summary pane beside it and the Note Stream, the Summary pane is completely blank. This is true for both existing and newly created references.

In my Preferences I have "Summary view: Standard" selected, and all the fields except Links are currently checked. The Background Color is white.

Is there some other preference I have to select to get something to display in the Summary? Or am I missing something else?

Peace out,
Todd
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Nothing displayed in Summary pane after update to 14.0.4

Post by Jon »

That's odd. Please try clicking the Restore button in Preferences to install the factory default Summary values. Does that fix it?

Jon
Sonny Software
bobtodd

Post by bobtodd »

Howdy Jon,

Yes, that helped! But only to a point. The formatting is off... there's no break between fields. All the data is just dumped together into the Summary view.

But as an update, even before clicking the Restore button, I noticed this problem only applied to the Books category. The Journal Articles are formatted properly in the Summary view.

Peace out,
t
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've had no other reports of this so far, so it may be some issue with your preferences. Choose the Book popup setting and click Restore Defaults again. If the data are still not formatted, you can edit the Before and After fields for each item in the list (a Return is indicated with ¬).

Jon
Sonny Software
bobtodd

Post by bobtodd »

Hmm... OK.

I tried restoring the defaults again. No change. I tried adding a return by inserting the "¬" character, but that only added a return after the word "Book" showing the reference type. All the other information was strung together without a return or other spacing.

Just as a point of reference, the Others category for the Summary preferences has nothing in the Before or After cells, but still seems to display correctly.

Oh, well. I guess we can see if this happens to anybody else.

Thanks for the help.

Peace out,
t
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The Before and After fields are used for *each* item you have checked. That's how you achieve the correct formatting. So click on Title, say, and then put ¬¬ in the Before box and one in the after. You must do this for each field you are displaying to get the look you want.

Ah, I see Restore Defaults isn't setting those correctly for Bookends. I'll fix that.

Jon
Sonny Software
bobtodd

Post by bobtodd »

OK, let me see if I understand correctly.

Say I have Type, Title, and Authors all selected (but only those three) in the Summary preference panel. Then I put "¬" in the After cell. Does that mean that a return will appear after each of Type, Title, and Authors (i.e. Type¬Title¬Authors¬)? Or only after the group of three (i.e. TypeTitleAuthors¬)?

Thanks for the clarification.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You have 3 marked (checked), not selected. Click on one of them to select (e.g. Title). If you put ¬ in the After text box, the title (in the summary view) will be followed by a Return. The other two marked items won't be affected. Then click on Authors and put whatever you want to come before and after the authors metadata. Again, only the Authors field will be affected. Try it yourself and see (and take a look in the User Guide in the Help menu, where all of this is explained).

Jon
Sonny Software
bobtodd

Post by bobtodd »

OK. Perfect. Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've fixed the preference's faulty Restore Factory Default issue and made a silent update. Please download 14.0.4 again and try it now.

Jon
Sonny Software