Keyword functions do not work

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Ken

Keyword functions do not work

Post by Ken »

Hi,

I am not able to merge or change names of keywords in term lists (standalone window or left pane). When I do it the changes are reversed after a short while. I tried several times now and it does not work.

Is anyone else frustrated by keywords in Bookends?

Also, a shortcut to quickly add a keyword to a reference would be good. I tried to use tags instead since they are always visible when I read a text, but they don't autocomplete and I am not sure if they will work in the long run (if I export my library to another app).

In general, I don't understand the term lists window. Why is keywords (and authors, and also links!) not just running in a fully functional left sidebar? By fully functional I mean including an option to search (without clicking the title and moving the mouse to the popup field in the middle of the screen), organise, rename, add, etc.

Cheers,
Ken
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Keyword functions do not work

Post by Jon »

I can't reproduce a problem with changing keywords. Can anyone else? Have you tried Rebuilding the library to make sure it's not a database issue (or better yet, try with a fresh new library)?

If by tags you mean PDF tags, they live in the PDF, not in the Bookends database. And they don't autocomplete, but if you right-click on New Tag you'll see a list of all the tags you have and can select the one you want.

For your final point, I don't know what you mean by clicking on the title and move the mouse to the popup fields in the middle of the screen). Perhaps you can send a screen snap of what you mean? The right-click lets you "rename" (Replace). And as for adding terms, that's not how Term Lists work. They reflect terms that exist in the references you have. As soon as you add a term (like a keyword) to a reference, it's added to that libraries Term List. It's not the other way around.

Jon
Sonny Software
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thanks, I am rebuilding the library all the time these days and it doesn't seem to solve the issues.

I attach examples of working with keywords in a new library I made now. Now it changed the keywords as expected before it crashed. When I tried it earlier it just doubled the keywords, so each reference had the same keyword twice. Something is not right with the keyword feature.

Regarding the general functionality of keywords, my point was that the usability would be so much improved if you simply took the functionality of the 'term lists' window into the sidebar. At the very least having a permanent field on top for 'find a group', 'filter list' of keywords and authors, would be good. If you see the point, then perhaps at some point you could integrate the 'reference links' to sit in the sidebar as well. Just a suggestion. I never use that feature as it is hidden in the standalone window under the 'inspector', but I see a great potential if it was easier to use.

This is such a wonderful app in so many ways. I really hope you will be able to fix/improve these features.

Thanks,
Ken
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.10.29.png
Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.10.29.png (121.33 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.10.11.png
Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.10.11.png (116.57 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.09.41.png
Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.09.41.png (96.31 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please deal directly with tech support, it's difficult to interact on a forum and there's more information I need.

support@sonnysoftware.com

I'll reply to you directly.

Jon
Sonny Software