Find similar (but not identical) PDFs ?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Dellu

Re: Find similar (but not identical) PDFs ?

Post by Dellu »

I have tried almost every duplicate finder app.
https://macpaw.com/gemini says it can identify similar files. But, in practice, it is very ineffective.

In my experience it is Devonthink (and some scripts https://discourse.devontechnologies.com ... iles/46291) that comes closest to solve the problem. But, still the comparison algorithms are not available to the user.

So, really, there seems to exist no solution for this problem.
DRNash

Post by DRNash »

I've also been looking for a solution to this, without much success, and also found the closest to be DevonThink, which does, at least, find some highly similar PDFs...

Another approach that does sort of work is to use plagiarism checking software (such as "Novus Scan"), but that typically only allows the checking of one PDF at a time, and is very slow (I believe it works by extracting text and then comparing the unformatted text between PDFs). Most other PDF comparison software that I have found works in the same way - i.e. not comparing every document with every other, but comparing one to many.

- David
DRNash

Post by DRNash »

Actually, I see that the "original" post here by "donwynne" is the post that I made in 2020 (but with my name removed from the end):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5386&p=24408#p24408

So, some sort of scam going on here - Sonny software and readers beware!

- David
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the heads up, DRNash. I google everyone before registering them, and this name and email didn't raise any alarms. I'm going to remove him (or her) as a registered user and post. Your original post is available to explain the contents of this thread, and there was some useful discussion.

Thanks again.

Jon
Sonny Software