Database Error

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Waystone

Database Error

Post by Waystone »

Hi folks :)

When I use the 'Scan Document' toolbar command within Word (after finding and adding in a citation), I receive the following error:

Database Engine Error: Record "UNKNOWN" is locked in table "thereferences".

Obviously, Bookends doesn't complete the operation.

Help?

Naomi
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There is another thread on this. I can't reproduce this error here.

Reinstalling Bookends may help. Closing and reopening the database also will probably stop this error.

If it persists, please send me the database and the document (both stuffed or zipped), and tell me what format you are using. I'll try to reproduce it once again.

Jon
Sonny Software
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

I have experienced this problem as well, but it usually disappears after a second try to scan the document (I'm using Mellel and not Word).
NickB

Post by NickB »

I'm getting the same thing using 8.1.1 and Word for Mac 2004.

I will try reinstalling the program.

Just bought the program too - then got the error!

Nick
NickB

Post by NickB »

Reinstalling fixed the error. Great.
Sue

Post by Sue »

Can you tell me what you mean by reinstall?

I get the error you describe but I haven't been able to get rid of it.

Thanks.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Sue wrote:Can you tell me what you mean by reinstall?

I get the error you describe but I haven't been able to get rid of it.

Thanks.
Hope you've been able to fix it by now. If not, try to rebuild the database. It solved my problems (when it did not work after the second time of error).
JayFrost

DataBase Error

Post by JayFrost »

Perhaps someone could help. I am trying this software --the latest version. Imported references seemed to work just fine. But had problems generating bibliography. I put in a few footnotes with references from Bookends In Nisus Writer Express 2.5, I use the Nisus macro "Bookends Scan" but I get a message saying that "there is no clipboard with styled text" and nothing happens. In Mellel, I get exactly the same message Naomi spoke of "UNKNOWN"

Advice?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

NWE 2.5 has a bug that prevents copying large amounts of text to the clipboard via a macro (which is why we don't provide the macro anymore). Supposedly they have a fix in the next update (I haven't seen it).

As for the UNKNOWN error in Mellel, nothing has changed. I can't reproduce it. Try some of the remedies suggested in this thread.

Jon
Sonny Software
JayFrost

Thanks

Post by JayFrost »

Thanks for the information in re NWE. As for Mellel. Tried rebuilding the database (twice in fact). Got the same message. Here's what I did: I imported 38 references fromYale University if that makes a difference. I have been using the Mellel Bibliography Toolbar to go to the database (which it does just fine), I select "Copy Selected Citations" -the unformatted ones (why else would I need to Scan?) put them into a footnote then I run the scan and then I get the message.

BTW: I am running a G3 iBook 700 with Tiger (10.4.3) just got the Mellel II update.

Thank you very much for the timely reply, I hope this can be resolved (but as far as I can tell I could work around by copying citations formatted and generating a bibliography for export from within Bookends, is what I just wrote true?)
Anyway, again thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Post by Jon »

JayFrost wrote:Thank you very much for the timely reply, I hope this can be resolved (but as far as I can tell I could work around by copying citations formatted and generating a bibliography for export from within Bookends, is what I just wrote true?).
Yes, that would work, although it's of course easier to do it all with one scan.

Please send me your database, document, and format (zipped, please) and I'll give it another try here. Maybe someday I'll be able to reproduce this rare problem (and thus be able to fix it).

Jon
Sonny Software
JayFrost

Post by JayFrost »

For those with the mysterious "UNKNOWN" message. I found that when I cleaned out the Bookends files in the Preferences folder of the Library and threw away the old Bookends folder in Application Support (also in the Library Folder) and then reinstalled Bookends, I found that this problem (strangely as a clean install should overwrite old Application Support files) the software worked exactly as advertised. I used the latest Bookends with Mellel II.

Hope this helps
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

JayFrost wrote: (strangely as a clean install should overwrite old Application Support files)
Actually, the Application Support folders are not overwritten, because they hold only support files that have been created by the user, not the ones we distribute (formats, filters, and glossaries). This allows you to update Bookends without having to worry about inadvertently losing files you have created.

But I'm glad the problem was resolved (as you know, I could not reproduce it here with your files)

Jon
Sonny Software
JayFrost

Post by JayFrost »

Thanks for the explanation that clears up a mistaken impression!