Best approach to fixing large number of misannotated papers?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
yot

Best approach to fixing large number of misannotated papers?

Post by yot »

Hello,

after collating my previous libraries held in Zotero and Papers3, and finally setting up various setting to import and rename files, remove duplicated entries and journal names, etc. (see my previous post here recently), I believe I have Bookends set up properly for the future. However, I still have a large proportion of imported files (I estimate >10% of my 5000+ papers library) that are wrongly annotated. By manually checking a portion of them it seems the papers have correct author, title and year of publication (all parts important for me in renaming the files), but wrong journal. There appears to be no logic to which journal name is substituted.

I am not sure how it happened (I don't think I had this large number of misanonated journal names in the previous libraries, so I must have mixed up something when importing the files). But the question is what is the best approach to fix it? I don't believe I can automatically select these entries and I definitely won't do it by hand, so is it the case of removing the files and re-importing everything from scratch?

Any ideas welcome :-)
Best
yot
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Best approach to fixing large number of misannotated papers?

Post by Jon »

You mean the entry in the journal field is incorrect? Assuming these papers have a unique identifier like a DOI, select them and perform an Autofilll From Internet. Try it on one or two, first. You can also right-click in the Journal field in the edit pane and just try to Autofill that field, not the entire reference.

Jon
Sonny Software