Extract highlights cum BE unique identifier

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
cinepou

Extract highlights cum BE unique identifier

Post by cinepou »

Has anyone come up with a way to extract PDF highlights and comments, either directly from Bookends or via some dedicated PDF app, where each quoted block is automatically paired with the Bookends unique identifier and page number in the resulting document?

Thanks for any pointers!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Extract highlights cum BE unique identifier

Post by Jon »

You can't do that now, but watch for the next update. Annotation extraction has been completely reworked.

Jon
Sonny Software
cinepou

Post by cinepou »

Great, many thanks for the quick reply Jon!
cinepou

Post by cinepou »

Hello again,

I've now finally downloaded the latest version of Bookends and am very happy to see the changes made to PDF annotation. However, having gone through the available documentation, I'm still not sure if what I wanted to achieve is now possible.

To reiterate my original request: Is there a way to extract PDF highlights and comments where each quoted section is automatically paired with the Bookends temporary citation [Author, Date, Unique ID] and page number in the resulting document?

I can see that the answer to the latter part of my question is yes: page numbers now appear alongside each quoted section. But what about the temporary citation?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please read the release notes for 14.1.3.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/updates/u ... story.html

The particularly relevant section is this:

"Now each annotation block, which contains the annotations from all PDFs attached to a reference, is headed by information about the reference. This information is created using the default format (Biblio -> Default Format) and style (e.g., Styled Text, Plain Text, BibTeX Markup, etc.). This means you can include any information the formatter can access, including the unique ID, linked references, etc."

Jon
Sonny Software
cinepou

Post by cinepou »

Thank you, Jon.

I understand that it is now possible to add a header above all quoted sections from a PDF, and that this header can be configured to output as the relevant Bookends temporary citation. My question was more specific. To reiterate is it possible to automatically pair each quoted section individually with the temporary citation (along with the page numbers, which already work in this way)?

I think there was a misunderstanding because I initially called the sections "quoted blocks", which in your terminology does not designate an individual quote but the sum of all quotes pertaining to a given PDF. Or am I missing a beat here?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No. There is one header per PDF, not one header per each annotation in a PDF. And even if there were Bookends wouldn't be able to extract it from the annotation and use it as quoted text.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

P.S. Extracting annotations is for extracting reference annotations from one ore more references and (usually) moving them to another app where you can work with them.If you want to do create temporary citations from annotations, import them as notecards, right click on them in the Note Stream, and choose Copy Citation or Copy Notecard With Citation.

Jon
Sonny Software