Missing option to import reference from BE browser?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Missing option to import reference from BE browser?

Post by DrJJWMac »

I opened the Bookends browser to my library search site. I typed in a search phrase and have a list of articles that are returned from the search.

* I can click on any link to open an article at its primary journal site.
* Since I am logged into my university account, I can also click on a View PDF button at the journal to view the PDF for the article.

In neither case above do I see a direct way to import the journal article as a new reference. I do not see the expected DOWNLOAD icon in the far right for the browser menu bar.

What am I missing?

EDIT: It seems that the DOWNLOAD button appears or disappears depending on some state or another. The download button does not appear at first. When I reload the page for the journal article, the download button appears. If someone reproduces this, please follow up.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Missing option to import reference from BE browser?

Post by Jon »

It appears when Bookends finds a unique identifier it can user to fetch the metadata (like a DOI). It won't appear when you're viewing the PDF itself (because there's no DOI in the HTML of that page), although you can download the PDF by drag and drop of the PDF proxy icon (or right-clicking on the PDF proxy icon). I don't know why the arrow would appear only with a reload (unless the page hadn't been fully downloaded the first time).

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Re: Missing option to import reference from BE browser?

Post by DrJJWMac »

Perhaps the issue is that the page is not loading fully on first pass. Now that I know this, I will simply reload the page as needed. Thank you.
--
JJW