Pdf annotation capacity on Mac coming to iOS?

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Per

Pdf annotation capacity on Mac coming to iOS?

Post by Per »

Hi,

With the risk of sounding completely spoiled, I wonder if there are any plans to get the same amazing annotation capacity that you recently launched on the Mac-version of Bookends also to the iOS-version? You know, marking and just selecting if you want to highlight, quote, make a note, etc. To be totally honest, I have been spoiled by that functionality, making it so simple extracting quotes, notes and all into my workflow; from reading directly in Bookends, to its note stream, and either directly to correct citations in my manuscripts in Word or Scrivener, or via Tinderbox for further analysis... Seamlessly!

Best wishes,
Per
Serge

Re: Pdf annotation capacity on Mac coming to iOS?

Post by Serge »

It will be difficult to adopt the same UI on iOS, because we are using a third party PDF component. It’s really well configurable, but it’s not easy to include this level of integration. Some parts will be improved, and it’s the next task I will look into after the next release of Bookends for iOS.
Last edited by Serge on Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Per

Post by Per »

It will be exciting to see what you can do and it sound great that you have it on the to-do list. It is the “quote” and “notecard” functions that are most appealing, as they enter the annotation directly in the note stream. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that they are doable.
danzac

Post by danzac »

Just another voice to support this request (I’ve voiced the request before as well). Notecard and quotation ability on iOS would make it so much more valuable as the reason I pay the subscription is primarily because reading a PDF on my iPad is better than my Mac.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Per

Post by Per »

Hats off to the team who fulfilled the dream to get the same fantastic annotation capacity as on the Mac version of Bookends also to the iOS version! Amazing work!
doclrb

Post by doclrb »

Jon and Serge,

TY for all the great work your team has invested in Bookends. An IOS annotation feature would be great. I manage my refs on my Mac but read and study on my iPads. :D

doclrb
doclrb
Les R. Becker, Ph.D., MS.MEdL, NRP, CHSE
lesrbecker2@gmail.com
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To be clear, you can annotation in iOS now. I mention this because you wrote "would be great".

Jon
Sonny Software