Link to a particular annotation in the note stream?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Per

Link to a particular annotation in the note stream?

Post by Per »

Thanks for a fantastic software! I currently use hypertext links to facilitate rapid access from my personal knowledge management system in Tinderbox to the references in my Bookends library. It works really well. However, it would be a dream to get a hypertext link to a particular annotation in the note stream of a reference, which would take me directly to the right place in the pdf. Would that be possible and something you could consider for future releases? I feel really spoiled even to ask, but you have so far managed to fulfil all the dreams I have suggested :)

Thanks again!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Link to a particular annotation in the note stream?

Post by Jon »

Sorry, not that one. I'll add it to the feature request list, but at the moment a mechanism to do that doesn't come to mind.

Jon
Sonny Software
Per

Post by Per »

That's okay. Perhaps one way to facilitate that could be to allow Hookmark (previously known as Hook) to make deep links in Bookend's pdf reader (if technically possible), like it can in Adobe Reader and Acrobat, Highlights, Preview, Skim and a few others. I see on their homepage that it can create links to references in Bookends already, but I do not have it since Bookends provides its own hyperlinks. Would that be a possibility? It could perhaps open up for other innovative inter-app workflows...

Bookends is near perfect as it is, and my current use of hyperlinks still saves me the lion's share of the time switching between softwares and finding the reference. Finding the correct page immediately would obviously also be great, but it is not a big problem.

Cheers,
Per
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It looks like this is going to work. Copy and paste or Command-drag PDF annotations into compatible apps (Scrivener, DevonTHINK, and TextEdit have been tested) and a clickable link will be created that will take you to that reference and highlight the annotation. You can even insert the link into a field in another Bookends reference. Barring unforeseen problems, this feature is planned for the next update. It doesn't seem to work with Tinderbox -- I'll contact Mark.

Jon
Sonny Software
krstofr

Post by krstofr »

This is going to be so helpful! :)
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

This sounds terrific! Can't wait!
Per

Post by Per »

Jon wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:22 am It looks like this is going to work. Copy and paste or Command-drag PDF annotations into compatible apps (Scrivener, DevonTHINK, and TextEdit have been tested) and a clickable link will be created that will take you to that reference and highlight the annotation. You can even insert the link into a field in another Bookends reference. Barring unforeseen problems, this feature is planned for the next update. It doesn't seem to work with Tinderbox -- I'll contact Mark.

Jon
Sonny Software
That would be fantastic! Mark Bernstein has also been great at picking up suggestions from users, and Bookends and Tinderbox work well together already. Fingers crossed!
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

…and it's done! Bravo!!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thank you.

Now that the basic feature has been implemented, you'll see more integration of hypertext links throughout the app in the next update. You'll be able to paste hypertext links directly into notecards and invoke them with a right click, copy a hypertext link by right clicking on the notecard showing the annotation (rather than the annotation itself), include hypertext links in the output you create with Extract Annotations, and more.

Jon
Sonny Software
krstofr

Post by krstofr »

:D
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

“ include hypertext links in the output you create with Extract Annotations” - yes that really will be useful!