Automatically marking references upon import

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
krstofr

Automatically marking references upon import

Post by krstofr »

I often bulk import many related references via RIS. This might be multiple chapters in a book, once all imported I like to work on them all in one group. Upon import of each individual reference I mark each reference so it appears in the 'Hits' group, this is so after all relevant chapters have been imported I can work on them as a collection.

Is there a way to set BookEnds to automatically mark references on import so they are always added to the Hits group?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Automatically marking references upon import

Post by Jon »

In the import file dialog there is a checkbox labeled Import To Hits List. Isn't that what you want?

In a similar vein, if you drop the RIS file on a static group, Bookends will import the references to that group. No need to make them hits first if you don't want to.

Jon
Sonny Software
krstofr

Post by krstofr »

Ah, Brilliant. :D Thank you!
krstofr

Post by krstofr »

Following up on this. I have my browser set to automatically open .ris files with bookends upon download (it saves time dragging and dropping), so the option to add to the Hits list works for me. However this option is reset after Bookends is quit and re-loaded.

It would be helpful if this preference could survive a restart.

As an aside, if I'm in the Hits list, and I import another ris file, the view changes to the all list, whereas I'd prefer the view to stay in the Hits list if thats what the view I'd chosen and when the import to the hits list is selected. If I hadn't have selected import to the hits list, I would understand why it would be beneficial to change the view to all so the imported file is displayed, but this isn't needed when references are set to import to hits and I have chosen that as my preferred view. Anyway just something for consideration. :)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

For point #1, I think that's reasonable. For point #2, I'll think I'll leave this as is. It's trivial to click the Hits group after import if that's the view you want.

Jon
Sonny Software
krstofr

Post by krstofr »

Thank you. Re point #2, it is trivial to click on hits after an import, but on my workflow when importing multiple (15+) sections of a large edited book, and am also editing the reference data of each one on import, it is helpful for reasons of continuity and verification when editing each reference to see the others on the view. Currently to do this I have to click on hits again after each single import, which gets annoying as it disrupts the flow.

I just wanted to expand on why this might be slightly less trivial than it may first appear so that your decision can be fully informed. Anyway, thanks for great software and prompt responses.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

On reflection, it seems to make sense to always switch to the Hits group when the user has checked Import to Hits List. I'll think about that.

Jon
Sonny Software