Request: Option to set default folder for backup

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Request: Option to set default folder for backup

Post by DrJJWMac »

I appreciate the automatic backups option. I would also appreciate an option to set the location for the automatic backups. I am trying to manage where backup files are stored in reference both to having limited storage space and to limiting Time Machine storage. I would also like a more transparent way to access the backup files directly in order to archive them, meaning to move them to an off-line (external) storage and delete their primary library.

I have my internal drive broken into volumes, one of which is Databases and another of which is Archives. I store my Libraries and Attachments in the former. I would intend to store intermediate backups in the former as well, while I would force the final backups (upon closing the library) into the latter.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Request: Option to set default folder for backup

Post by Jon »

Here's a tip that may accomplish most of what you want right now. Create a backup folder (call it Bookends Backups or something) and place it where you want it. Create an alias to it in the Finder and name the folder Backup. Go to the Bookends folder and move the current Backup folder somewhere safe, then replace it with the aliased Backup folder folder. Now automatic backups will be stored in Bookends Backups.

I've tried this with the backup folder on an external drive. I haven't tried it with a server.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Re: Request: Option to set default folder for backup

Post by DrJJWMac »

This approach makes sense in leu of adding the option to set the backup folder in preferences. If you don't add the option via preferences in Bookends, you might note this alternative approach in the User Manual. Regarding an external server ... I imagine that using an external server folder that may or may not be mounted at any given time as an alias location into a user Library folder would open a can of worms and should not be suggested as possible. In any case, I am more interested in aliasing to a different volume (not partition, volume) on the existing internal SSD/HD.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take this route.
--
JJW