How do I print single references on 4x6 cards?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
abusch

How do I print single references on 4x6 cards?

Post by abusch »

Hi,

I want to keep my bibliographic references not only in Bookends, but also in a physical "Zettelkasten". To that end, I keep 4x6 cards and have so far noted down the bibliographic details for each article or book manually on one card each.

Surely I could do that with Bookends? I can print 4x6 cards on my LaserJet, but I do not know how I can format a reference appropriately.

I have a format named "Summary" that gives me all the information I want in Bookends (the reference and my short notes if I have any) with appropriate line breaks. But I do not succeed in printing this on the card - Bookends does not seem to "know" about the size of the card and as a consequence, the reference and the note text are cut off).

How do I build a format that will respect the size of the 4x6 card in print?

Any suggestions are gratefully received!

Thanks, Andreas
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How do I print single references on 4x6 cards?

Post by Jon »

Bookends, like most apps, have File -> Page Setup that allows you to specify paper dimensions and other things. I assume your printer driver has a setting for4.6 cards if you can print to those from other apps. Have you tried that in Bookends?

Jon
Sonny Software
abusch

Post by abusch »

Many thanks for the quick answer!
I have set the correct paper dimensions in File → Page Setup. However, when I print, I get the wrong format - text that is formatted for a portrait card, but turned by 90 degrees as for landscape. As a consequence, the text is cut off and incomplete.

I just tried to feed the card in horizontally; the result is that the printer devours it and does not spit it out again... Will have to investigate! :shock:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In the Page Setup dialog there is the option to set the Orientation: portrait vs. landscape.

Jon
Sonny Software
abusch

Post by abusch »

Thanks - yes, I am aware! But neither option produces the correct line break - and the landscape option fails to turn the direction of the text by 90 degrees. I attach a picture I took of two attempts at printout - the first in portrait, the second in landscape orientation. It probably illustrates the problem better than many words. In portrait mode, the lines are cut off and text is omitted as a consequence; in landscape mode, again text is cut off, and one would expect text to be rotated by 90 degrees.

Any ideas what I could change?

Many thanks!
Andreas

P.S. Preview does not show the picture; I can see it though if I simply enter the URL into a browser tab. So fingers crossed...
P.P.S. No, pic not shown. Here is the URL, let's hope that works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1iweb5vl0kmhh7/IMG_1754.jpg
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It may be an issue with the printer driver, I can't say. Why not export the references to a file (or the bibliography window) and open it in a word processor and print from there? See if it can create the output you want.

Jon
Sonny Software
abusch

Post by abusch »

Exporting from the bibliography window to, say, Pages adds another step that I would like to avoid if possible.

However, doing that produces the outcome I want, so it should not be an issue with the printer driver. But: with Pages, too, sometimes the text is printed wrong (portrait orientation text on landscape oriented sheet).

Will have to determine the precise circumstances and then report back. Many thanks for your help!