Watch folder greyed out, not importing

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
smarcopolo

Watch folder greyed out, not importing

Post by smarcopolo »

My watch folder stopped working. Through many version upgrades it has worked well. Now under the Bookends File menu the options for "Import From Watch Folder" are greyed out, both "Start Watching" and "Configure...". The folder has not moved (iCloud Drive > iDownloads/BookendsMonitored). I cannot even modify the configuration. The file contains PDFs that should be imported. I have restarted Bookends several times, re-booted the computer. Then reinstalled a newly downloaded Bookends.

Bookends 14.1.6
macOS Ventura 13.1

Any suggestions? Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Watch folder greyed out, not importing

Post by Jon »

Hm, nothing has change there for a very long time. I don't see how the Configure option can't be available, either. For lack of a better option, perhaps you should download Bookends 14.1.6 again and replace your current copy. If that doesn't help we can try removing preferences (post here if needed and I'll tell you how to do that).

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It just occurred to me -- you need a library to be open for those menu items to be enabled (and importing to work, of course). Is is possible you don't have a library open?

Jon
Sonny Software
smarcopolo

Post by smarcopolo »

In answer to the second suggestion, my main working library was open. I also had tried creating a duplicate library and rebuilding it. Neither restarted importing from the watch folder.

I downloaded a new copy of 4.1.6 and installed it, replacing the current copy. Thereafter, the watch folder menu options were again available.
* Importing PDFs already in the folder did not start.
* Stopping and restarting watching did not trigger importing.
* I could again edit the configuration folder menu item. Nothing to do really, since the watch folder had not changed location. I selected the same folder again from the selection pop-up. (I could not easily tell if there was some subtle change in the folder path.)
* Restarted watching and the PDFs in the folder imported. Subsequently added PDFs also imported.

Thanks for the suggestions.