Option to MOVE references to a different library?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Option to MOVE references to a different library?

Post by DrJJWMac »

I would like to cull one library database by pruning out irrelevant references to a different library. Is there a one-step way to MOVE references + attachments from one library to another? The drag+drop option only gives a COPY. I tried option- or command- modifiers with no avail.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Option to MOVE references to a different library?

Post by Jon »

You can do this in two simple steps.

1. Select and drag to the new library.
2. Press Delete in the original library (or Command-Delete if you don't want to see the warning dialog).

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

This does not move the attachments from the old library to the default library for the new library.

Also, the second step (delete) has to be done while at the All view. If viewing a group, hitting delete only offers to remove the selections from the group, keeping them in the old library.

If the request is not to difficult to implement, it would be useful to have a one-step way to move references from one library to another where the attachments are also moved into the default library folder for the new library.
Last edited by DrJJWMac on Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The names of the attachments are transferred by drag and drop. Of course if you have set a library-specific attachment folder that differs between the libraries, when using the destination library the attachment may not be found. If that is the case for you, there are several options.

1. Move the attachments from the old library's attachment folder to the new library's attachment folder (using the Global Change -> Move Attachments option, or dragging them yourself in the Finder). This is better if you want to keep the attachments segregated by folder.

2. Or have the first library's default attachment folder added to the list of ad hoc attachment folders. To do that, attach a single PDF to the destination library. It will be added to the ad hoc list (which you can see in preferences). The after the destination library fails to find the attachment in its default folder, it will search the ad hoc folders.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Wow!!! You have a Global Change -> Move Attachments. This option was lost on me. I had an entire AppleScript devoted to this operation.

A few notes.

- I have the default attachments folder set already. The dialog for Global Change -> Move Attachments does not use that folder as a default location for the move. It would be useful to have it recognized here.

- It would be useful at this point to include a checkbox to Rename Attachments. For various reasons, I am prefacing my attachment names with the library name. So, automatically renaming at move would be useful.

- I see that when I take the second step to delete the references from the old library, the attachments are moved to the trash in the old library. It is only when the Trash is emptied that one has to be aware to NOT MOVE ATTACHMENTS TO TRASH.

I think that I can most work with this method now. Especially the Global Change -> Move Attachments!!!
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

DrJJWMac wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:07 am
- I have the default attachments folder set already. The dialog for Global Change -> Move Attachments does not use that folder as a default location for the move. It would be useful to have it recognized here.
Move Attachments doesn't know anything about a second library (or any library at all other than the current one). You could be moving them to the app's default attachment folder, a thumb drive drive, etc. So nothing can be pre-filled.
It would be useful at this point to include a checkbox to Rename Attachments. For various reasons, I am prefacing my attachment names with the library name. So, automatically renaming at move would be useful.
For the same reason, you can't perform a rename in the source library. You have to wait until they are in the destination library's folder, then rename there.
- I see that when I take the second step to delete the references from the old library, the attachments are moved to the trash in the old library. It is only when the Trash is emptied that one has to be aware to NOT MOVE ATTACHMENTS TO TRASH.
Remember, the attachments don't belong to Bookends in any sense, only their names are in the Bookends database. The reference record (containing that name) is moved to the Bookends internal trash folder. The actual PDF is left wherever it is on your HD. It's only when you delete the internal reference trash that Bookend offers the option to move PDF itself to the Finder trash for you. And without going through the various scenarios where it does and doesn't matter, in this case it is prudent to uncheck that option.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

The clarifications help. Thank you.
--
JJW