iPad attachments don't load/show

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
ddh1980

iPad attachments don't load/show

Post by ddh1980 »

Hi,

I can't seem to open any PDF attachments on the iPad version of Bookends. I can see the paperclip icon is blue but I don't see a preview of any of the PDFs. When I click the paperclip, nothing happens. I can see the files are on the iPad via iCloud sync but that's it.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

Dustin
Serge

Re: iPad attachments don't load/show

Post by Serge »

Hi Dustin,
Please write to support@referencesontap.com, as I will need more diagnostic information from you.
Serge

Post by Serge »

You might use Files.app to check the attachments folder in Bookends folder with icon in iCloud Drive. Another user found that this action forced iOS to sync files.
guylaine

Post by guylaine »

I have the same problem. Everything used to work perfectly, but since a few months, I don’t see the attachment preview in iOS Bookends, even though the files are in iCloud/Bookends folder. I’ve even tried downloading the attachement in iCloud one by one (because sometimes they show the cloud icon, meaning they are not downloaded), but it doesn’t help.
I’ve restarted the iPad, no change.
I’ve tried Resync Library, no change.
Eventually, the attachments do become available, but I can’t find out how. Except that time (a lot, like hours or days) has gone by…
What else can I try to fix this?
Thanks!
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please delete Bookends for iOS from your device, then reinstall it and sync with your cloud library. Let’s see if this way of resetting helps until we will be able to reproduce this issue.
guylaine

Post by guylaine »

Thank you for the quick reply Serge.
I tried what you suggest, but I still cannot see the attachment even when there is the « paperclip » icon and the paper is actually in iCloud. If I open such an attachment in the iOS files app, Bookends treats it as an orphan pdf and asks me if I want to attach it to a new or existing reference.

A couple of more details.
1. This is really only happening for more recent references. It’s as if the link between Bookends and iCloud cannot be established.
2. I have a very large library: > 11 000 references and >10 000 attachments.
3. I may have reached the storage limit on my iPad a couple weeks ago without noticing it… Last week (before troubleshooting Bookends), I did remove a lot of data and now have > 100GB free on the iPad.
4. iCloud Drive also has around 25GB of free space.

Anyways, not sure if those details help or not, nor if there is something else to try to fix this? It’s a shame, I really like Bookends iOS version and being able to read on the iPad. At least others seem to not have that problem and are able to enjoy it :D
Thanks again for your help.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please write to support@referencesontap.com if you are ready to install a TestFlight build with additional diagnostic information.
guylaine

Post by guylaine »

Will do, thanks.
guylaine

Post by guylaine »

Just wanted to give an update on this, in case someone else encounters the same issue.
In my case, the problem was due to my large library (>10 000 references).
Long story short, iCloud drive gets stuck for some reason when there is more than 10 000 items in a single folder. That’s why Bookends couldn’t reach some PDFs even if they were in the Attachments folder. So this was an iCloud Files problem, not a Bookends iOS problem.
The temporary fix (very reasonable IMHO) is to create a subfolder in the Bookends Attachments folder on the iCloud drive (and move some PDFs there, so that there are <10 000 directly in the main folder). Instantly solved.
I want to reiterate here how dedicated and helpful Serge was in solving this. I can go back to enjoying Bookends great features on my iPad :D
Last edited by guylaine on Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJPhD

Post by GJPhD »

Thanks for the update, I seem to be having a similar / the same problem. Mine only started when I upgraded to iPad0S 17, along with some other Files app issues.

Can I ask what iPadOS version you are using?
guylaine

Post by guylaine »

Still on iOS 16.6.1
GJPhD

Post by GJPhD »

So would it be possible to share more detail from you or John on this iCloud Drive issue?

I keep having problems with the Bookends folder on iCloud Drive as well, but only on iPad and iOS.

The gist of my problem is very simple: several PDFs that are not downloaded according to iCloud Drive show up as an attachment in Bookends on iPad/iPhone. Several PDFs that do not show up as an attachment in Bookends are downloaded according to iCloud Drive.

I do have other folders with > 10K items (photos in this case) on my iCloud Drive, that work just fine.

I have tried so far to
- turn off and turn on iCloud Drive
- logged out of - and into - my iCloud account
- Deleted Bookends from my iPads and reinstalled them.

These did not solve this. My next step would be to do a complete reset of one of the iPads and see if that works. I don't want to go there at this point tbh.

There is no shortage on the devices or on iCloud. I have 2Tb iCloud storage and both my iPads are iPad Pros M1 with 2Tb of storage.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please write to support@referencesontap.com it's a better way to share screenshots, file names, etc. And we will need them to try to understand what might be wrong.
guylaine

Post by guylaine »

Not sure what else to share. What you describe is very similar to the issue I had.

Did you try to split your Bookends attachments folder on iOS by creating a subfolder and moving some PDFs there?

Even if having >10 000 files in an iCloud folder works for other uses, it doesn't seem to with Bookends. Whatever the reason, creating a subfolder makes it work again. So I would suggest you try that before any other troubleshooting. It doesn't have any impact whatsoever on your Library. Everything will get synced, and Bookends on iOS will find the new location without any delay.

EDIT: just realized my initial post about the workaround may not have been clear. I added details to clarify.
GJPhD

Post by GJPhD »

Thanks for the edit, this seems to have done the trick for me too (although admittedly I am already on iPadOS 17.1 RC, which promised iCloud Drive sync enhancements which also may be doing the trick as well)