Harvard UofA format please!

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
BobMitcham

Harvard UofA format please!

Post by BobMitcham »

Does anyone already have a Bookends version of Harvard UofA format which I could obtain?

It is significantly different to the standard Harvard fmt (5 Types) and last time I tried to modify the BE Harvard fmt it was too difficult for a first timer for the 20 or so reference types I have. Are there any shortcuts for doing this?

I have the Endnote styles file. Can it be imported to Bookends?

If not, are there any other Reference Managers whose format files can be directly imported to BE.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Harvard UofA format please!

Post by Jon »

You can't import formats from other apps into Bookends.

Creating/modifying formats is not difficult. Here is a video tutorial that covers the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowJRIualSQ

Please view it. Then create a new format based upon our Harvard style and modify the Journal Article Type first.

If you have problems getting the output you want, please write to support@sonnysoftware.com and I'll guide you through it. That way you'll learn how to tweak it further if you need to, or how to create a different format if a journal calls for it.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. What is UofA?
BobMitcham

Post by BobMitcham »

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the video link and your advice. I'll give it a try.

In Australia most of the Universities (eg University of Adelaide) have modified Harvard.fmt so that it follows the Australian Government Style Manual 6th Edition 2002, revised by Snooks & Co .

Here is a link to the relevant Chapt 12 https://www.adelaide.edu.au/library/ua/ ... encing.pdf
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've created a format based on the information in that link. It has some of the basic types, and the citation and bibliography options are set. You can use this as a starting point to add any more Types that you need.

Please write to support@sonnysoftware.com and I'll send it to you.

Jon
Sonny Software
BobMitcham

Post by BobMitcham »

Thanks Jon,

I see that the Harvard (U of Adelaide) format is included in the new update. It's a great start. I have copied the format catalogue below.

Harvard (U of Adelaide).fmt (custom)

Journal article:
Bib: Mercep, M, Sussman, JJ & Noguchi, P 2018 ‘Activation-induced apoptosis’, Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 301, no. 10, pp. 1256-1265.
Cite by Author-Date: (Mercep et al., 2018)
Dissertation:
Bib: Mercep, M, Sussman, JJ & Noguchi, P 2018, ‘Activation-induced apoptosis’, Ph.D., Columbia University, New York, NY, https://www.sonnysoftware.com.
Book chapter:
Bib: Mercep, M, Sussman, JJ & Noguchi, P 2018, ‘Activation-induced apoptosis’, in RS Fredrickson & AA Adamly (eds), Handbook of Cell Death, McMillan, New York, NY, pp. 1256-1265.
Book:
Bib: Mercep, M, Sussman, JJ & Noguchi, P. 2018 Activation-induced apoptosis. McMillan, New York, NY.