Workflow Example: Bookends -> Obsidian

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Workflow Example: Bookends -> Obsidian

Post by DrJJWMac »

I have posted a Workflow Example for Bookends -> Obsidian in the Obsidian forum at the link below.

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/workflow-ex ... dian/57867

I hope this is useful information for those who need insights or guidance on how to set up the two applications to work in harmony.
--
JJW
Dellu

Re: Workflow Example: Bookends -> Obsidian

Post by Dellu »

I have tried it a couple of time; but Obsidian never stick to me.

But, workflows like this could make me change my mind.

Dear DrJJWMac, adding a little more explanation on the benefits of the workflow would have been make the workflow more helpful.

- is the intention to export the Notes within Be to Obsidian vault? Or does it include the pdf annotations as well?

A little explanation on what the workflow does would be helpful.
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

@Dellu -- I appreciate the request. Let me try to answer.

I need to have a collaborative macOS<->Windows workflow to share information about references with my colleagues who work on Windows systems. While Mendeley, Zotero, Papers, or EndNote will provide the collaboration out-of-the-box, BE fits my personal approach to reference management better for specific reasons in each case. The main benefit in having the BE -> Obsidian markdown workflow is that it allows me to continue using BE as my primary reference manager yet also gives me a way to share my notes and annotation comments on journal articles to Windows users. Otherwise, as you, I have no pressing other need for Obsidian (it also has yet to "stick" for me).

At its core, the actions Extract PDF Annotations + Save PDF Annotations only extract and save the annotations from the PDF. You must structure the .fmt file in a manner to include the (BE) Notes. The "n" designation in the .fmt file serves as a marker for this.

If you have no current investment in Obsidian, you may still benefit by the workflow. You might use it for example to keep a markdown-formatted journal of your activities in annotating references in a BE library. Think of this as a companion to DayOne or other personal journalling apps. Whether you review your (markdown) journals in Obsidian or other apps (e.g. DevonThink, iAWriter, Bear, ...) is not the point, the point is that BE now provides you with a way to establish a workflow where you can save snapshots on your activities to annotate on references in BE. And, it provides you with significant flexibility to define what is contained in content in the markdown export as well as the layout of the elements of the content simply by manipulating what you put in the .fmt file that you use for the step to Extract PDF Annotations.

I hope this helps you decide if you may or may not want to invest your time in exploring the workflow in practice.
--
JJW
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

I looked into your workflow in fresh eyes now. Thank you for the explanation.
I see that your intention is to display the annotated pdf alongside the annotation file within Obsidian, so that you will be able to review your notes and annotations within Obsidian.

That is interesting; and very useful for people who use Obsidian.

My feeling currently is that the Annotation Extraction in Be works best in Styled text because the colors of the annotations are kept with the rtf export. For that, I am inclined to export them to rtf aware apps such as DEVONthink and Keep It.