Moving attachments on import not working as expected

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
somelinguist

Moving attachments on import not working as expected

Post by somelinguist »

Hello,

I've been adding some new references to my library yesterday and today by dragging and dropping PDFs on to the list of references in the Bookends Library Window.

During the process, I've selected to move the attachment to the attachment folder, and I select a subfolder from the drop down. The subfolder is within the library's default attachment subfolder, which is itself within the correct Bookends iCloud folder.

However, for every PDF I've imported in this way, the PDF is moved to the root of the Bookends iCloud folder after import. This has happened both when adding a PDF to a new reference as well as attaching a PDF to an existing reference.

Any ideas?

Other information:
1. I've also selected to rename the file on import.
2. This library is set up to sync via iCloud, which works as expected.
3. The library's default attachment subfolder is set to a folder in the root of the Bookends iCloud folder.

Also, after I noticed that if I select a subfolder from the drop during import, if I later check the the location of the library's default attachment subfolder via File -> Set Default Attachment Subfolder, it seems to have changed from what I had set to the most recent location selected in the import dialog. This seems unexpected to me, as the implication of the UI to me seems to be to choose a location for the attachment file being imported. Am I misinterpreting this?

Thanks for your help!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Moving attachments on import not working as expected

Post by Jon »

When you set a subfolder for a library it overrides any ad hoc selection you make. The issue I'm aware of is fixed in the next update. If you find there is still a problem after that is released, please get back to us.

Jon
Sonny Software
somelinguist

Post by somelinguist »

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to check after the next update.

Just to clarify: so if I have set a default attachment subfolder for a library, the expected behavior should be that any subfolder that I select in the drop down in the import dialog will be ignored? Or did I misunderstand? I thought the purpose of the default subfolder for a library would be for when attachments were imported automatically or if I didn't choose a location to override it?

If setting the default subfolder for a library means I can't ever override it when importing via the app UI, is there a way to unset it? Is setting it to the iCloud Bookends folder sufficient, or is there something else I would have to do?

Sorry if I've misunderstood again. Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You understood. And as I said, this should be fixed in the next update.

Until it is, set the library's default folder to the global default folder. Then you can choose the subfolder to move the reference to on-the-fly.

Jon
Sonny Software