Badges with number of references

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
nturcan

Badges with number of references

Post by nturcan »

Hello,
Is it possible to display badges with number of references instead of folder badges? Now this seems to work only for Trash.
Thank you,
Nicolae
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Badges with number of references

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what you are asking for. Bookends can display the number of items in a folder now. What additionall objects do you want badged? And why?

Jon
Sonny Software
nturcan

Post by nturcan »

Thank you for your answer!
If I understand correctly, Bookends can display the number of folders and groups as badges. I would like to see the number of references in a group as badges. When I work on a project and gather references in a group, it is more important for me to see how many references I have to go through, rather than the number of folders and groups.
Now the number of references is displayed when clicking on a group in the bottom of the central panel - for example, "Showing 36 of 36 refs" in the attached image. I would like there to be a badge next to the group where I can see the number 36.
Nicolae
Bookends-img2.jpg
Bookends-img2.jpg (234.07 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't know. That would lead to a very congested pane. We already had requests to remove all badging. What do others think (and no answers that require another preference!)?

Jon
Sonny Software
nturcan

Post by nturcan »

I have switched back from EndNote, where such functionality exists. Perhaps it would be useful to have the option to choose between displaying: 1. no badges; 2. folder and group badges; 3. reference badges.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think you mean 1. no badges; 2. folder badges; 3. folder and group badges? Yes, that might work.

Yes, EN does, but given the comments on their forum about the X20+ UI I'm not sure that's a recommendation. :-)
Also, they don't show a badge, just the number, which is un-Mac-like but also less obtrusive.

I'm not averse to adding this, but I am concerned about the appearance. I'll think about it. And I would welcome comments from others, pro, con, or neutral. I'd also be interested if you other others have thoughts about the appearance of the badges that might mitigate having dozens vertically-aligned in the groups pane, or if you don't think that would be an issue.

Jon
Sonny Software
nturcan

Post by nturcan »

Yes, thank you!
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

I find little to no use for folder badges. I would be pleased to have the additional option in the context menu to Show/Hide Group Badges. The four resulting views would be 1) all badges hidden, 2) only folder badges shown, 3) only group badges shown, and 4) folder and group badges shown. The first two options are the currently available choices.

As to clutter, perhaps consider the effect from swapping the background and text color on the badge. A vertical alignment of visible yet not stark numbers may be less obtrusive than a vertical alignment of rectangular boxes that themselves contain numbers.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The three options have been implemented in the update after next. Is there a need for just group badges? It's not available at the moment, but there is time to add it if people want it.

As for the badge appearance, it's similar to what we have now, white numbers on a rounded rectangle darker gray background, except the borders have been trimmed so that they attract the eye less (to me, anyway). If anyone has mockups of suggested cosmetic changes, please post them (or send them to me).

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

I prefer a way that will allow me to display only the count (of references) on groups and not the count (of sub-folders and groups) on folders. So, yes, I prefer also the fourth option.
--
JJW
nturcan

Post by nturcan »

Jon wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:23 pm The three options have been implemented in the update after next.
Jon
Sonny Software
Wonderful! Thank you!