Scrivener Problem

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
grebmar

Scrivener Problem

Post by grebmar »

I am currently using Bookends 14.0.6 and Scrivener 3.3.1 in Monterey. I can get to Bookends out of Scrivener just fine using ⌘Y, but ⌘Y from Bookends won't copy the citation when it goes back to Scrivener. The same is true when I try to copy a citation with ⌘Y from Floating Citations window. ⌘Y does work fine with Mellel. Is this fixable. Also, just now, as I was checking this, Bookends stopped opening the Floating Citations window after double tapping control, where it was working just fine ten minutes ago.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Scrivener Problem

Post by Jon »

Bookends does the copy and switch, it's the paste that macOS is blocking (do a Command-V yourself and you will se the temp citation is pasted in).

You'll have to get the permissions set correctly on your system for this to work with Scrivener. Since Scrivener doesn't have an AppleScript dictionary, Bookends uses System Events to handle the Edit -> Paste. In System Preferences -> Privacy, Bookends must be set to allow it to talk to System Events.

The security permissions features in macOS are finicky (buggy?) and sometimes even when you think everything is configured properly an app is still blocked. If that proves to be your case, you can try

1. Rebooting. Sometimes works.

2. Reset AppleEvent permissions so that you'll be prompted again when Bookends sends (or receives) AppleEvents. You can do this in Terminal with the command

tccutil reset AppleEvents

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

finicky (buggy?)
Definitely the latter!!! :roll:
grebmar

Post by grebmar »

Thank you for the answer. I tried all of this, although under Privacy, there is nothing labelled "System Events." Under Accessibility and Automation, Bookends appears to be checked.

After resetting System Events by Terminal, I got the prompt to allow Bookends to do its thing, but nothing happened. In the meantime, I'll keep using ⌘V.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To be sure I understand you -- In Privacy & Security -> Accessibility, Bookends should be enabled (this is under the label "Allow the applications below to control your computer).

If it is, then everything is set correctly. It's up to the OS to honor those settings, I'm afraid.

Jon
Sonny Software
grebmar

Post by grebmar »

Yes, Bookends is checked in the Accessibility panel. Still doesn't work. Very strange.
iandol

Post by iandol »

What does Security & Privacy > Privacy > Automation show? Do you see Bookends > System Events.app selected also? I tested on my Monterey with BE 14.2 and Scrivener 3.3.1 and it works for me...

EDIT: I see you already did twiddle Automation as well sorry...
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

I am having the same issue. For me, BE is not requesting permission at all.
Resetting and rebooting did nothing.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Did you reset AppleEvent permissions as explained above?

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

Yes, I reset it. But, BE is not requesting it.

The same issue with Popclip.
KM and Alfred are able to request and gain the permission.
07_04_23 at 10.00.18PM.png
07_04_23 at 10.00.18PM.png (50.73 KiB) Viewed 6640 times

Thankful, I still have @iandol's workflow to search and insert references. I am using it to insert citations for now.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That shows other apps controlling Bookends, not Bookends controlling other apps. In the case of Bookends, it must be allowed to talk to System Events.

The OS adds apps to the Automation panel, not the apps themselves. If you reset AppleEvents with tccutil in Terminal and you're not asked for permission when Bookends tries to send an AppleEvent to System Events there's nothing Bookends can do. Maybe someone else will have advice for you, or you might contact Apple support or, if you're near one, and Apple Store genius.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

Version 4.1.6 worked as expected for me. It didn't request permission for the automation. But, it is working as expected.

Very strange; the latter versions are not able to copy citation and create Synced Bib.

(The Export Reference window never shows up; and the created Bib file is becomes 0 bytes).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please don't change the subject of the thread.

If you're having a problem with syncing a BibTeX file you should contact tech support with details. support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

Jon wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:01 am Please don't change the subject of the thread.

Jon
Sonny Software
Sorry;
I mentioned it because I thought they might have the same cause: failure to have access (permission) to AppleEvents.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

AppleEvents are for inter-application communication. Creating a BibTeX sync file does not involve another app.

Jon
Sonny Software