Unlock notecards

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Hogenson

Unlock notecards

Post by Hogenson »

A few years ago, There was a question about how to use the automatic pagination function in notecards if you were working with a book with a lot of front matter. The reply was to edit the page numbers by hand. Two questions:
1) Has this function been changed to allow for discounting the front matter and beginning pagination from page 1? If so, how is it activated?
2) I have a book PDF with annotations that have all been picked up by the Notecard function but with incorrect pagination. However, the notecards all have the lock icon and cannot be edited. How do I disable the lock on the notecards? I would prefer the lock function be disabled altogether if possible.

Best regards,
George
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Unlock notecards

Post by Jon »

The locked notecards are read-only annotations in the PDF. You can't alter the PDF. If you want to change them, import them into the reference Notes field. Right-click on the locked notecard and select one of the two options for importing them into Notes.

Jon
Sonny Software
Sarah1986

PDF Page Numbers - Notecard quotes

Post by Sarah1986 »

• I'm creating notecards on a PDF generated from word document (draft thesis that I am marking for a student).
  • There are~10 pages of front matter (table of contents, list of figures etc), page numbering in the PDF starts after the front matter, but when I annotate with the Notecards - the page numbers do not align with the actual pages numbers of the PDF (e.g I'm annotating page 1 but the Notecards says @11 - I'm assuming because it is counting the front matter pages).
  • I've also tested academic books (lots of front matter) - notecards quotes the correct page number (e.g @180) but I tested an academic article that had an automatic front page (like this: Image image description: a single PDF page that shows the article title, journal name and author with a crossmark button) and it threw all the notecards quotes out by one page
Question: Is there anything I can do to the word document in exporting to PDF that will support Bookends to correctly recognise the page numbers? I'm assuming it is some sort of document metadata? I've got access to the word document, and given that I'm marking 100K words, it would be good to just have this correct working, rather than manually changing each annotation.
Hogenson wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:21 pm ...how to use the automatic pagination function in notecards if you were working with a book with a lot of front matter. The reply was to edit the page numbers by hand...
Attachments
screenshot of an article front cover
screenshot of an article front cover
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 2.01.19 pm.jpg (97.15 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends reads the PDF "label" property to get the page number. Most PDFs begin with 1, regardless of the actual page number in the published journal. Sometimes the publisher embeds the correct published page number, but most don't. Bookends tries to deal with this by comparing the starting page number in the PDF to the metadata in the Pages field in the reference. So, if you have 10 pages of front matter, try entering -10-100 in the Pages field (the second number being the actual number of pages - 10, for example if it were 110 you'd enter 100). Now see how Bookends treats the page number when you extract.

Jon
Sonny Software
Sarah1986

Post by Sarah1986 »

Thanks - this worked. The notecards adjusted all the pages.