OneDrive access problem

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
thomashegna

OneDrive access problem

Post by thomashegna »

With a recent MacOS update, and some new university server changes, I've noticed a change in how Bookends interacts with OneDrive and Adobe Acrobat. I use OneDrive for all my pdf storage, and Acrobat is my default pdf reader. When I click on the paperclip to open the pdf, nothing happens. If I right-click, and choose to open the pdf with Preview, it works. If I click "show in finder," it quickly shows me the correct location. If I double click on the file without using Bookends, it downloads and then opens in Acrobat. Once I have done this, if I click on the paperclip icon in Bookends, the pdf has no problem opening in Acrobat. Any idea what is going on? Is this a Bookends issue, or something with how the university has set up my OneDrive and Adobe accounts?
Best,
Tom
Jon
Site Admin

Re: OneDrive access problem

Post by Jon »

It could be a number of thing, depending on your setup. First, did you set a default PDF reader in Bookends Settings? If not, it uses the Finder default. In that case, did you set a default PDF viewer in the Finder (the Get Info dialog)? It sounds like you did (setting it to Adobe)?

If that's you configuration then the only thing I can think of is that in the initial case the Finder wasn't allowed to respond to the request to open the PDF in another app because of Apple's byzantine security restrictions. But it was then granted for that file because you opened it yourself (which implicitly means that you want apps to be able to do that, too). At least that's my guess. One thing you can try is to give Bookends Full Disk Access in System Settings, which is some cases is helpful.

Jon
Sonny Software
thomashegna

Post by thomashegna »

Acrobat is now set as my default reader in Bookends, and Bookends has full disk access. I noticed that if I picked a random reference and opened it first with Acrobat, then Bookends can open it in Acrobat. But, if I choose a different random reference and try to open it in Acrobat through Bookends, nothing happens. It is like the Bookends-Acrobat combo expects files to be downloaded from the cloud, whereas Bookends-Preview does not.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends requires that the PDF be on the local HD or a server on your network (maybe Preview is forcing its download?). It's also possible the Bookends doesn't have permission to access OneDrive -- the system usually asks you for permission when an app tries to access files from certain locations.

Jon
Sonny Software