Changing the names of the Chicago Style formats

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Philologist

Changing the names of the Chicago Style formats

Post by Philologist »

Dear Jon,

Bookends comes with two formats of the Chicago Style:
"Chicago 17th A.fmt" and "Chicago 17th B.fmt"

If I don't use them for a while, I always forget which is which. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has difficulty remembering what A and B stand for.
Therefore I suggest the names be altered to:

"Chicago 17th (Author-Year)" and "Chicago 17th (Footnotes or Endnotes)" respectively. This much more meaningful than A and B.

I have already created copies in ~Library > Application Support > Bookends > Custom Formats
with the names I suggested above, but perhaps not every Bookends user knows the steps which are required to do this.
I think changing the names should make Bookends more user-friendly, especially for new users.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Changing the names of the Chicago Style formats

Post by Jon »

That's not a bad idea. I think (Author-Date) and (Footnote) are commonly used.

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

I deliberately suggested to rename it to "Chicago 17th (Footnotes or Endnotes)" because that format is for *both* footnotes and endnotes. Whether the user inserts a footnote or endnote doesn't matter, the result from Bookends remains the same.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

he name used by Endnote is "Footnote". CSL has these Chicago styles designated as "note" or "full note". The Chicago Manual of Style actually calls it the "Notes and Bibliography" system. So no one agrees. Since Bookends never introduces or mention the concept of endnotes, and I believe they are uncommon compared to footnotes, I think I'd stick with either (Footnotes) or (Notes). Perhaps others will weigh in on this.

Jon
Sonny Software