Referencing online only publications

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
bookuser

Referencing online only publications

Post by bookuser »

It seems bookends is oriented toward classical references, - books, journals that are published on paper and may also have an online version.

I'm trying to understand how to reference materials that are published only on the web, no print, no journal metadata etc.. This often happens with industry consortia, standards organizations and the like. An example might be the HTML standard (https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/) or a security best practices document ( https://www.iiconsortium.org/pdf/IoT_SM ... -05-05.pdf ). I am trying to figure out how to use Bookends most efficiently with these types of resources.

Is there a way to generate the metadata bookends needs automatically by pointing to the page on the web and extracting the metadata automatically for bookends?

Is there a best practice for formatting the references and citations? (I think APA 7th Edition Format works fine, but not sure how to do the citations, can I use Nature format for the citation and APA 7th for the bibliography?)

thanks, Frederick
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Referencing online only publications

Post by Jon »

Bookends has an Internet Type for some formats, and you can modify that or create your own fairly easily. Bookends Browser can import reference metadata if it has a DOI or some other types of unique identifier, but then it wouldn't be a "web-only reference". Bookends can't scrape web pages for metadata, which I think is what you are asking for. You can download and attach web pages as .webarchives, which replicate the page and include links. That may be a good resource in these instances, but if contains a reference the metadata would have to be entered manually.

Jon
Sonny Software