Capitalization questions

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DunstanOSB

Capitalization questions

Post by DunstanOSB »

Greetings. I am a new user to Bookends. I apologize if these questions have been covered elsewhere; I have not been able to find answers to them. I am using Bookends 14.2.1 (MacOS Ventura 13.4.1). I am trying to specify formats for "book" bibliographical entries (Chicago 17). In the Formats Manager, under "case," I have chosen "as entered" for Title. This is important because I have titles in foreign languages and with non-standard characters. Yet, for some reason, Bookends capitalizes every word in the title (and un-capitalizes SC, an abbreviation). For example, a footnote entry that should look like this:

Origène, Homélies sur S. Luc (SC 87) (Paris: Éditions du Cerf, 1962), 31.3.

Instead looks like this:

Origène, Homélies Sur S. Luc (Sc 87) (Paris: Éditions du Cerf, 1962), 31.3.

Especially peculiar is that, in the Formats Manager, the sample entry that appears at the bottom of the screen displays the entry correctly. It is only when I "scan" a document that incorrect entries appear. Specifically, my questions are: 1) how do I tell Bookends not to capitalize words like "sur" and "aux"? 2) How do I tell Bookends to capitalize "SC," which is an abbreviation? I have entered these words in my database using the desired case. I just need Bookends to preserve this when it scans.

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Capitalization questions

Post by Jon »

1. The title case setting applies per Type. So make sure all the Types in the format output titles "as entered".

2. Bookends is reasonably smart about capitalization. In the Settings Scan & Bib tab there is a list of words and acronyms Bookends will leave as entered when the format calls for Sentence or Title case. Words like "in", "and", "any", "DNA", etc. You can add "sur", "aux", and any others to the list.

3. There are cases where that isn't enough. For example, if there is more than one language in the same title (e.g. English and French). That case, end the title with a comma. That is an ad hoc way to tell Bookends to leave the case as entered. I'm not saying you should, but you could enable Title Case for the format and enter that title as

Homélies sur S. Luc (SC 87),

That tip is useful for the Authors and Date field, too. For example, institutional authors should be entered like this:

Food and Drug Administration,

Jon
Sonny Sofware