Requests for "View" features

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Akiva

Requests for "View" features

Post by Akiva »

I like that the type can be sorted, but I wish it would switch to an icon when the narrow was narrowed down within X pixels. Distinguishing between Book, Book Chapter, etc. takes up a lot of unnecessary real estate.

I love that the PDF viewer has full features, but I would like options to:

a) View it as the bottom half of the right-side panel (so that Info can be on top and PDF view on bottom)

b) Improved navigation for tabbed PDFs. I think it could work like other tabbed PDF readers/browsers, in that CMD+W closes a tab, CTRL+TAB / CTRL+SHIFT+TAB alternate between tabs, and in this case maybe something like CMD+T opens selected PDF into new tab.

Thank you for hearing me out. I'm sure there's already on the list but these are some things I think might be helpful.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Requests for "View" features

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the suggestions. It's unlikely that any more views will be added, there are already quite a few (you may or may not have played with the widescreen view).

I assume you mean the Type icon in the edit pane? I don't know that changing it to an icon is an improvement -- it hides that information. But I would point out (as I often do) that if you're using the edit pane for "reading references" you are holding it wrong. The infinitely configurable Summary pane is meant for that.

Finally, shortcuts for PDF tabs is an interesting idea. However, unlike other PDF viewers that open them in a window, Bookends opens them in a pane in a multipane window. Command-W can't be used, that closes windows (and will close the library window). But possibly some others could be created. Note that we already have keyboard shortcuts for moving between tabs in preferences and the edit pane, so having another set in the PDF panes could be tricky. Another UI problem is that the focus could be in any open pane, but the shortcut would remove it from that pane and switch it to the new reference in the list (because the reference would change).

Jon
Sonny Software
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Thanks for the response. I did play with the widescreen view, which works great on an external monitor. My suggestion was more relevant for maximizing screen real estate, but I understand that what we have is sufficient.

For the "Type" column, the idea is not to remove the current way information is displayed. It's that, when the column is resized to make it narrow, instead of showing just "Jou"[rnal] "Boo"[k] it switches to showing icons. I don't see how the summary window is a substitute for that.

For the PDF display, I do think that for, say, 14 inch laptops, it's significantly more efficient to have the right-side panel allow for an adjustable bottom half with PDF preview. If a PDF page is shown complete or half-complete in the Attachments panel (which is useful to scan information for manual data entry without having to scroll), there's a lot of dead space on the right and left sides of the PDF. This is because the current Attachments panel is a "landscape" rectangle while PDF pages are "portrait" rectangles. Meanwhile, in the right-side "Edit References > Main" panel, there's a lot of unused room because the information is double-spaced and most of the tags are rarely used, so it makes sense to use the bottom-half as a "portrait" rectangle for PDF preview (an example of how Edit References > Main is inefficient, a Newspaper article shows things like Orig Pub, User 12, # of Vols, User 14, User 15).

But I completely understand that there's other development priorities since these are small details. I'm currently organizing my transition from Mendeley and then Zotero, so I'm just seeing different contrasts. In most cases, Bookends shines. Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Ah, I thought you were talking about the Type popup menu in the edit pane. I see you were talking about a Type column you added to the reference list. As I understand it want to substitute an icon for the words "Journal Article", "Book", etc.? But to convey any information you'd need a different icon for each Type, which would be unworkable. And a single icon for all would not convey any information. In contrast, the first few letters are sufficient to recognize the Type in most cases. Zotero does the same thing, AFAICT.

As for the PDF below the other options in the right pane, I''m just not seeing it. At least in my use the edit pane, when it's open, is usually fairly narrow and any PDF below it would too small (narrow) to read or markup. Bookends is very flexible and there is almost always more than one way to achieve a goal. Feel free to send me a screen snap of how it works in another app if you like (at support@sonnysoftware.com) to help me visualize what you're after. I don't see such an option in Zotero, but I may have just missed it.

If you want to be able to see PDFs in the right pane while viewing details about the reference, you can try this. Use or create a format that outputs the information you want (author, title, date, etc.). The formatted view on the bottom can be horizontally narrow so that it takes up relatively little screen real estate. Open the right pane and select the Edit Pane -> Attachments tab. Now as you scroll you'll see the reference details on the bottom and the PDF on the right. If you want to edit, switch to the Main tab or Summary view (you can edit in the Summary view, too, by clicking on the text you want to modify). This may or may appeal to you, but it's an example of how one can configure the UI in ways that aren't necessarily obvious. I'm happy to work with you via tech support to try to come up with a solution you're happy with, if you like.

Jon
Sonny Software
jvictorcabral

Post by jvictorcabral »

Regarding this topic, I wonder why there is a restriction to keep the "compact view" and attachment ON while in fullscreen mode. Whenever I toggle to full screen, it shows only the attachment. The only way I found to see both references and the attachment is if I use the Widescreen layout mode, but I'd rather use more space horizontally and zoom in.

Am I missing something here that I could turn on?

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, it shows the attachment and the right panes and hides the groups and references panes. If you want to see all at once, click the green button with the Option key held down. Now the window fills the screen but the menu bar and all the Bookends panes you have open will show.

Jon
Sonny Software