Europe PMC online import filter?

Users asking other users for import filters.
doconnor

Europe PMC online import filter?

Post by doconnor »

Hi there,

I recently discovered that Europe PMC (https://europepmc.org) has outstanding scientific manuscript searching that unearthed a bunch of interesting papers that I had missed. Would it be possible to create an online search tool for this source? I looked through the existing formats and other posts in this forum and didn't see this requested previously.

Thanks in advance for considering this,

--dave
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Europe PMC online import filter?

Post by Jon »

How does it differ from PubMed Central? All the articles I found had links to the article there?

In any case, you should bookmark it in Bookends Browser and use that to do your searches. I just did that and was able to import articles and their PDFs into Bookends.

Jon
Sonny Software
doconnor

Post by doconnor »

Thanks Jon. Europe PMC seems to have more hits. Try searching for "AerosolSense". This is the brand name of an instrument my lab uses for sampling viruses out of air, so I want to track whenever articles that use this machine are published.

When I search in Pubmed, there are only 4 hits.

When I search Pubmed Central from the Bookends Browser, I get 16 hits. The download button appears as expected.

The same search in Europe PMC returns 27 results. But I don't see the download button in the browser (running Bookends 14.2.2). Sorry about the size, I had to get it under the 256kb limit. Hopefully if you squint you can see there isn't a download button.
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 9.09.54 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 9.09.54 AM.png (220.68 KiB) Viewed 15483 times

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Interesting. I'll see if it's possible for Bookends to recognize the DOI in the initial view of the article. In any case, if you click on the article's DOI link you'll be taken to the publisher's site and you'll be able to download the article to Bookends (at least it worked for the several references I tried it with).

Jon
Sonny Software
doconnor

Post by doconnor »

Thanks -

Downloading and attaching a PDF works when I navigate to the article.

In a perfect world, the multi-download interface that PubMed Central has could also be used with Europe PMC.

In an even-more perfect world (or maybe one that exists and I don't know how to do it), multi-download through the browser would gain the functionality to specifically select only those references that aren't already in my reference library (like when right-clicking in the online search).

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please check out Bookends Browser in the upcoming update. It will detect DOIs of references found on Europe PMC, so you won't have to navigate to the PDF to import the metadata.

Although the DOIs are not exposed in the multi-reference list page, I did see a way to import one or all of them at once. Click on "Add to export list" for the references you want, then "Export Citations", RIS, and click Download. They will appear in the Bookends Browser window, and there are DOIs the import button (down arrow) will become visible. You can import them directly into your library.

Jon
Sonny Software