Exporting references in RIS format always produces .rtf documents

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Mas25

Exporting references in RIS format always produces .rtf documents

Post by Mas25 »

Exporting references in RIS format always produces .rtf documents even with output text set to plain text (ASCII). What am I doing wrong?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Exporting references in RIS format always produces .rtf documents

Post by Jon »

Bookends assumes that if you are outputting the text in RIS format you want the file to have th correct extension (.rtf). It's still plain text, of course, it's just the extension is .rtf.

If you want the data output in the tagged RIS format but you want Bookends to apply the extension, create a new format based on RIS in the Format Manager and give it a meaningful name, like My RIS.fmt or RIS 2.fmt. If you use it to create a file the content will be tagged RIS but the file extension will be .txt.

Jon
Sonny Software
Mas25

Post by Mas25 »

thank you! and is there anyway to get it to be a .ris file so I can import it into another app that only accepts RIS.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

But that's what it is already. And most other apps look for the .ris extension, which is we we made it the default for files containing RIS content. Have you tried importing into another app and it didn't work?

Jon
Sonny Software