Orphan Attachments - scan and reattach option?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Sarah1986

Orphan Attachments - scan and reattach option?

Post by Sarah1986 »

I've moved to Bookends from Endnote but somehow I managed to get alot orphaned attachments.
I've still got the PDF's (in Endnote folder). I would like to know: is there is way to get Bookends to scan the external Endnote folder, find the orphaned attachments, import and reattach to correct entry in Bookends.

Library size is >4000 journal articles and orphaned attachments are hundreds, so I don't want to do this manually.

I'm assuming this is achievable via Applescript but I'm a newbie. I was thinking I could try to adjust the "Script: Copy Attachments to Default Folder for Library" from the Forum, but i'm not sure exactly how to do this.
TIA
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Orphan Attachments - scan and reattach option?

Post by Jon »

Bookends just has to know which folder holds the PDFs. I gather that you plan to move the PDFs the Bookends default folder. If so, simple drag the folder with your PDFs to the default folder (you can see what it is, and change it, in Settings).

Alternatively, if you want to leave all of your PDFs where they are, you can tell Bookends to use that folder (the EndNote folder) as your default.

Finally, if you want a hybrid solution (old PDFs where they are, new ones going to the Bookends default attachment folder), you simply have to attach ONE PDF from the EndNote folder again and tell Bookends to leave it there (don't move or copy). Now Bookends will remember that ad hoc attachment folder and find all the PDFs in it.

N.B. Remember that Bookends will find PDFs in subfolders, too. So if you change the default attachment folder location in Settings, point it to the top (root) folder.

Jon
Sonny Software
Sarah1986

Post by Sarah1986 »

Thanks Jon. I think these solutions are not quite right. Here's some additional information:
  • I want to move the orphan attachment PDFs to the bookends default folder (Attachments in icloud drive)
  • I previously moved from Endnote to Bookends ~4000 references & asked Bookends to rename the PDFs on import
  • I somehow corrupted the library or attachments, so now I have 1153 entries with orphan attachments
  • The PDFs still exist in the Endnote Library folder, but because I renamed the PDFs on import, if I drag them all the PDFs to the Bookends folder, Bookends won't recognise the 3000 PDFs I already have as duplicates.
I could create a new library with only the orphan attachments entries, use your solution number 3
attach ONE PDF from the EndNote folder again and tell Bookends to leave it there (don't move or copy). Now Bookends will remember that ad hoc attachment folder and find all the PDFs in it.
and then merge the two libraries together ? Unless you have a more elegant solution?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To give you the best answer I need to know what actually happened to the PDF names and why they can't be located (from your comments I'm gathering that some were correctly moved to iCloud Drive and are found, and some were not moved and are not found -- is that correct?).

This make take some back and forth, with screen snaps, so please contact me at support@sonnysoftware.com directly and we'll come up with the solution.

Jon
Sonny Software