A new universal database (K10plus)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Philologist

Re: A new universal database (K10plus)

Post by Philologist »

This is a necessary addendum for Dellu.

@Dellu. You wrote: "I am […] puzzled why the server gives a different result from the webpage."
Answer: Because the correct tags were missing in the Import Filter.

Based on your screenshot, it so happened that I first searched for a "wrong" author (Abdisā Ḫāylamāryām), instead of Běrěle ʿAbiyu. The method of adding correct tags, however, is the same for both authors.

After I have now understood how this works, I searched for Běrěle ʿAbiyu, the author your red arrow points to.

1.png
1.png (33.33 KiB) Viewed 52483 times

The online search in Bookends delivers the following result:

880 0 $6 100-01/Ethi $a ዓቢዩ ብርሌ $e VerfasserIn $4 aut [= THIS IS THE AUTHOR, added by me]
880 10 $6 245-01/Ethi $a በሀገር ፍቅር ጉዞ $n ቅጽ $p በሀገር ፍቅር ጉዞ / በዓቢዩ ብርሌ $c በዓቢዩ ብርሌ (ጌራ) [= THIS IS THE TITLE, added by me]

So, you need to add yet another tag into the title field of the Import Filter: 880p

2.png
2.png (12.26 KiB) Viewed 52483 times

Or in other words, for Abdisā Ḫāylamāryām the title tag is 880b, and for Běrěle ʿAbiyu the title tag is 880p. — If author or title are not imported, you just need to look closely at the lines which start with 880 and then pick the right character and add it to 880.
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Jon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:20 pm I don't agree with that analogy. I think the Library of Congress is universally recognized (and certainly by scholars) as an internationally valuable resource. Few outside of Germany have heard of GBV or GVK. Almost none of the filters' names start with the country of origin -- that was actually implemented first by the German users who contributed them.

I'll probably leave a filter with the name Germany - GBV (GVK), so current users will still have access. And add another with a more inclusive name, such as the ones we've discussed.
thanks for the clarification. Especially for an outsider. Sounds like a fair approach.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

@DrJJWMac

I'm an outsider, too, but I've been learning from our users. :-)

This is a bit off-topic, but have you tried Dimensions.ai?

https://app.dimensions.ai/discover/publication

I mention it here because it's also a "universal" source that covers the sciences. Unlike PubMed (which it includes), it also covers the hard sciences and engineering literature. If you aren't aware of it, you might want to give it a shot. And (spoiler alert) if things go well we hope to make use of it in the next update.

[Addendum] In a recent update we added a bookmark to Dimensions.ai in Bookends Browser.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

Thank you dear Philologist. You did an amazing favor to me. I won't be able to figure it out.
This is great.
@Jon; sorry: I should have written those words in Geez script.
ፍቅር the original word I searched. But, the issue is resolved now.
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

As look closely, the original tags are mostly wrong, unfortunately.
The Title field is fused with the Author field; and the Subtitle has taken the place of the Title. That seems to be the case across all the Amharic entries.
GBV_amh.jpg
GBV_amh.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 52459 times
- 880b is subtitle
- 880c is author
But, 880a is author in the the first line; but title in the second line.
100-1 and 245-02 would have been better filters. But, they are not working.
Last edited by Dellu on Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please edit the filter yourself, we can't read the content. Philologist has shown you how. The User Guide section on MARC records tells you exactly what to do. Only you can decide what information goes where.

Jon
Sonny Software
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

I understand that you cannot read it.

I am not complaining about BE either. I totally understood how he edited the fields: and very helpful guide.
What I am saying is the original source has faults because it is putting two fields into one tag (field.).

I will try to send an email to their contact service.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's not true. The title is

tag 880 and subfield a

The subtitle is in

tag 880 and subfield b

The filter tags would therefore be

880a

and

880b

Don't guess -- read the docs. Then ask questions if you still have problems.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

> This is a bit off-topic, but have you tried Dimensions.ai?
> https://app.dimensions.ai/discover/publication

Interesting. Thanks. I've got a research project on my project board that requires background literature searching. I might compare the sight with my more common sources (e.g. Science Direct, Web of Science, and my local library query bar).

--
JJW
--
JJW