In Citation Page Numbers for Mixed Documents

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
Ddrago

In Citation Page Numbers for Mixed Documents

Post by Ddrago »

In my documents, the title page and table of contents are numbered as pages one and two, respectively, while the main body starts from page three. However, the main body itself is labeled as starting from page one, creating confusion during citation. Is there a way to resolve this inconsistency within Bookends? All my citations are from the main body.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: In Citation Page Numbers for Mixed Documents

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure I understand. You can enter whatever pages you want in the reference's Pages field. Please explain a bit more.

Jon
Sonny Software
Ddrago

Post by Ddrago »

Jon,

Thank you for your prompt response. My concern lies with the automatic citation feature in Bookends, specifically regarding page numbering. In my documents, the title page and table of contents are numbered as pages 1 and 2. The main body starts from what is labeled as page 1. However, Bookends counts the title page and table of contents, making the first page of the main body appear as page 3 in the software.

For instance, when I want to cite what is physically labeled as page 10 in the main body, Bookends automatically cites it as page 13. This creates confusion when others try to locate the cited page. While I understand that I can manually adjust the "Pages" field for each reference, this is time-consuming and prone to error. I am looking for a way for Bookends to automatically recognize the actual page numbers in the main body when citing references.

Is there a feature or workaround that allows for this kind of automatic adjustment in the software?

Nick

---
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

So you're speaking of cited pages, right? That's where, in the temp citation, you use @ to specify what page appears in the citation or footnote, not the bibliography. Like

{temp cite@45}

In this case the Pages field is irrelevant (mostly). You're citing a specific page, not the number of pages in the book in a bibliography, for example.

And you are using the page number Bookends extracted from a note on a page in a PDF? If this is the case, Bookends tries to use the correct number if the number the PDF says is the first page (the page "label" internally) is 1 and the beginning page in the Pages field is not one.

In your case, try entering -2 in the Pages field. Now create a notecard from a selection on the first page of the PDF and see if it shows @1 instead of @3.

If it doesn't, you can send me the PDF and I'll take a look at what the PDF tells Bookends the first 2 pages are labeled, but it's not obvious to me what assumptions I could safely make for a workaround that would always provide the number the user wants. If telling Bookends the pages starts at -2 (which is true), thats' the way to go.

BTW, Bookends extracting the page number is a convenience function. If it's not the page number you want you simply edit it yourself. That's what people must do when they're not citing a specific page that doesn't have an annotation. That is, replace @3 with @1 in the temp citation.

Jon
Sonny Software
Ddrago

Post by Ddrago »

Jon,

Thank you for your response, and assistance. Adding -2 to the document resolved the issue. Additionally, pringing bates numbering also worked to keep the native numbering in Bookends.