Likely not BE problem - missing figures within PDF files

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mwarner

Likely not BE problem - missing figures within PDF files

Post by mwarner »

I've noticed several PDFs in my database have missing figures. Many culprits come from the journal Science, and I am pretty sure that these PDFs were fine and viewable in previous versions of the Mac OS, so I am guessing this is a larger PDF rendering issue that is somehow affecting how Apple preview and BE show the PDF file. I can download a trouble paper and open it in Apple Preview and get the same result - all figures are gone. If I open the same file in Adobe Reader, all figures are there. Wondering what could be the cause, and more importantly, any way to avoid this.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Likely not BE problem - missing figures within PDF files

Post by Jon »

Bookends and Preview both use PDFKit (although Preview apparently has it's own tweaks, too, which it can because it's an Apple product). If PDFKit is the problem we'll have to wait for a fix from Apple. If you haven't upgraded to Sonoma yet, you might try there. There is one PDFKit bug that affects Bookends that I believe was introduced in Ventura and partially (not completely) fixed in Sonoma.

Jon
Sonny Software