Hits / Hit List

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
JCwrites

Hits / Hit List

Post by JCwrites »

why does the "Hits" group fill up with references I haven't looked at?
I clear it - work away - and sooner or later, it fills up.
The hassle is that when it is "full" of lots of references I loose track of the ones I have recently downloaded or marked to look at in the current work session

thanks,
Justin
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 4.57.22 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 4.57.22 pm.png (249.74 KiB) Viewed 8271 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Hits / Hit List

Post by Jon »

The Hits List is evanescent and changes all the time (when you do a Find, when you scan, etc.). It should never be used for any kind of persistent function. That's what groups are for.

If you have references that were recently added, you can create a smart SQL group for that (there is a built-in one called something like "Added in the last 2 weeks" that you can add and modify. There is also a group Recently Viewed, which sounds like something you might find useful. If you want to "mark" references to be viewed, create a static group named something like "To be read" and drag those references into it. Once you're read a reference, select it in the group and press Delete to remove it from that group. You can also select several groups at one to show the intersection between them or all of the references contained in the combination. In short, there are many ways to categorize the references into functional subsets.

Ask here if you don't see a way to do this for a particular need.

Jon
Sonny Software
JCwrites

Post by JCwrites »

Thanks Jon - that's really helpful.
(Got the Groups and they are working great)

And yet, wouldn't an evanescent list mean the Hits List should be empty when we boot up BE each time ?

Justin
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, it simply means (in my use) that it's short-lived, coming and going as needed. There is no reason go clear it on launch -- it can be useful, and I can't think of a good reason for clearing it automatically. You just shouldn't rely on it as a stable collection of references.

If you ever do want to empty the hits list, and I agree there are times one will, it's a trivial matter. Hits -> Clear List (Option-Shift-Command-H). Or my favorite -- hold down the Shift key and click on a checkbox. This is a toggle that sets all of the references showing to the same state, unchecked state or checked, instantly. If the4 All group is selected, that means the entire library. If you select more than one references, you can also use this shortcut to set the selected references to the same marked state.

Jon
Sonny Software