Dragging Articles to Bookends, no author name appears

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Marsilius

Dragging Articles to Bookends, no author name appears

Post by Marsilius »

I am using Bookends 14.2.7 on Sonoma 14.1.2 and have an issue dragging and dropping articles with attachments. After I download an article from Jstor or other sites, I drag and drop it to my Bookends window and choose "attach to a new reference" and "generate new name".

All of the information enters EXCEPT for the author name. That field remains empty. I notice this especially when doing this with articles,

I welcome any suggestions or info on this problem, and pardon if my search missed a thread about this topic.

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Dragging Articles to Bookends, no author name appears

Post by Jon »

That's an issue with JSTOR, which frankly is difficult to work with. I last revisited this about 3 months ago, and will periodically. If they improve access to their metadata maybe at some point there will be a viable solution.

It's hardly a great solution, but if you go the reference on JSTOR in your browser, there is the option to export an RIS file that contains the authors, which you can import into Bookends.

Slightly better -- perform an Autocomplete Paper using a source like Google Scholar to update the data with the author (and perhaps other information that JSTOR doesn't supply).

Jon
Sonny Software
Marsilius

Re: Dragging Articles to Bookends, no author name appears

Post by Marsilius »

Thanks for the two work arounds. The one search term I did not use was Jstor, because I wasn't aware, or forgot, that the issue was only from that source.