Extract iOS Notes on Mac

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Leipziger

Extract iOS Notes on Mac

Post by Leipziger »

First of all, thank you very much for Bookends, a great app that I use on both iPad and Mac!

I especially like the Extract Notes and PDF Annotations feature. But I have a question about this. When I highlight in iOS and then add a note/comment to this section, I see it in the note stream as planned, both on the iPad and on the Mac. But after the extract function on the Mac the comments are missing. The highlights are all there including the deeplink. Is it related to PDFKit or am I doing something wrong? Is it possible to extract these comments as well?

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Extract iOS Notes on Mac

Post by Jon »

I think you are referring to note added to the reference, not the PDF. In that case, they can be "extracted" with the annotations after (1) syncing the database reference metadata (the note is not embedded in the PDF), and (2) in the extraction setup, tell Bookends to Extract -> Reference Notes.

Jon
Sonny Software
Leipziger

Post by Leipziger »

Jon, thanks for the quick reply! Another question: my Bookends is synced via iCloud (the PDFs are also stored online). Do I need to do anything other than close and reopen Bookends for the metadata sync? I have already done that. But unfortunately it was not successful.

Christoph
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You don't even need to do that. When the window moves to the background it syncs. You can also Option-click on the cloud icon and Sync Now.

So, where are the notes? Are they a PDF annotation note? Or are they in the notes field in the database? You can the former because it's a clickable graphic in the PDF. The latter appears in the notes field if you edit manually.

Jon
Sonny Software
Leipziger

Post by Leipziger »

I guess they are in the database. When I view the PDFs in the Finder, they are not displayed as clickable graphics, but appear after opening under Highlights and Notes. In comparison, the annotations and notes on the Mac are displayed as a clickable graphic.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Then they should be in the Notes field in the corresponding reference in Bookends. The notes belong to the reference, not the PDF.

Jon
Sonny Software